From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Duke, K5XU
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2005 21:37:21 -0600
Here's an update from the author of the cw course which I posted about
yesterday.

At the bottom of his message is a link to his web page for easy downloading.

MD

I have updated the code course and am in the process of modifying
some stuff through feedback that I receive.

1.  The course went from over 600MB of disc space to under 140MB of space.
This without losing significant quality that I can tell by going from
128Kbps
to 32Kbps sampling rates.  I was using 128Kbps by default because of stuff
over 60wpm that I generate.

2.  Added the track number to the ID3 tags so that the iPod users can
access the tracks in order.  You have no idea of the number of iPod users
now.
Thanks to those that sent email to me wanting this.  Done deal.  I changed
the
title to just the track number, but I may change it back tomorrow just for
esthetics.

3.  My guess is about 200+ individuals are working through this course
worldwide
as determined by the number of downloads from the sites and the emails that
I get.

4.  Some one is selling a CD on the Internet and posted to this group.  I
don't
remember them asking, but neither did I restrict such activity.  But that
version
is now obsolete.  A number of other groups will be giving it away at Dayton
and
other gatherings.

5.  You can get the latest version from me through downloads from my web
page.
I have 1GB at $4.99/mo space and it is now up to 540MB with all the stuff,
but
with the reduction in space requirements for MP3 files, I'm saving a ton of
space.
Or you can send me a blank CD and mailer to my qrz.com address and I'll get
you a copy if you don't have the time or bandwidth to download from the
sites.

6.  Guys and girls are making copies and giving them to the kids and
friends.
Have at it.  I like to hear it.  Heck.  Give copies to your enemies.  Drive
'em crazy....
Get a support/study group together at club meetings.

7.  Working on getting the answers into one PDF document.  I put the answer
files
out in plain ASCII and M/S notepad wants the ^M (control-M) to recognize
the end
of the line but LINUX programs don't need it.  I can put it in, but then
vim and other
editors make it look ugly and I do mean ugly..... :-)

This is a labor of love for me and I'm working on it almost daily as time
permits.
With the additional space available I plan on going up to 55wpm.  After
25wpm
there will be no answer files and all training instructions will be
embedded in
the code files.....  I think I can get more than 50 hours of audio per
CD.  That
should be enough for now.  How much would that be in paper tape on an
Instructograph?  How many vinyl records?  How many reels of tape for the
old reel-to-reel players/recorders?

dit dit

Chuck Adams,  K7QO     CP-60 and RUFZ 109WPM
http://www.k7qo.net

Moving to Arizona?  Bring your own water.

--
Help:
http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm

Mike Duke, K5XU