From:
Matthew Bullis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matthew Bullis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Sep 2009 15:17:42 -0700
Hello, I was on this list several years ago when it was on the st. Johns
server. Anyhow, I think it was about seven years since I last keyed the
mike, and I have some questions. My license is good for another four years
before I have to think about renewing. Is there an easy way of both looking
up call signs with the most complete info, as well as renewing and updating
my license? I remember that I paid a nominal fee of about six dollars to
update and renew my license in 2004 or so, but I don't know how it's done
now. Also, I have the tech no-code license. This means I can only use fm
repeaters, unless regulations have changed. If they have, I'd like to read
up on the priveleges for tech no code, in case they've expanded anything.
Also, it seems that repeaters nowadays always use PL tones. I don't know if
this is because there is too much interference that keys up repeaters
nowadays or what, but I can't set the PL tones with my HTX models, unless
someone has worked out what buttons to press. I had briefly considered
getting the Kenwood THF6A, and I still retain some documents that someone
gave me a few years ago. That seemed like a more accessible radio that my
HTX ones. Plus, I think that's a dual-band, whereas my HTX ones are single
band. I have the 202 and 404. Also, how is the hobby these days? With the
advent of mobile phones and Skype and talking over computers, I should think
that the novelty of talking across the world isn't that huge anymore. Have
hams stayed with it, but maybe younger hams haven't picked it up? I'm going
to be 31 in a week's time, and have been licensed since October 1994.
Thanks a lot for help on these many questions.
Matthew