Date:
Sun, 18 Jul 2010 19:51:04 -0400
Tom,

If space is not an issue, why not do some phased dipoles rather than
perpendicular ones?  I also am not sure what kind of interaction you'd get
between the two antennas that are the same length set perpendicularly to
each other.  The only setup I saw with perpendicular dipoles had the
80-meter in one direction and the 40-meter 90 degrees opposite to it.

As for the Cobra UltraLite, it sounds like a nice antenna.  But, the coil
design, read shortened design, means it will be compromised on the lower
resonant bands.  So, you won't get 75-meter performance equivalent to a
dipole using the 73-foot version.

To add to your antenna considerations, if you are going to be a Michigander
for some time to come, maybe you just want to get a new tower.  If you put a
beam on top, you could get a sloper and use the tower as part of the design,
with the beam being a capacitive tophat.  They really work well.

As for RG8X, I wouldn't worry about it on the lower frequencies.  I have an
AL811H and have fed mine with 600-plus watts up to 21MHz with no problem.  I
wouldn't use that stuff on VHF of course, due to the higher lossses.