From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Aug 2007 10:58:11 -0600
One of the great things about tube amps is that they are very very hard to
damage.
If you use it properly, as in, the way its designed to, tuning each time you
change bands or significant frequency changes, then it'll last a very long
time.
Also, you can get a decen tube amp that will give you 1KW for a fraction of
the cost of a new transistorized amp.
The henries and heathkit amps are great starters.  Though i think the
henries are pretty expensive due to antique status.
I see SB220 heathkit liniars on the market all the time.
I think you can tweak a grand out of those if you want to without the amp
complaining.
73
Colin, V A6BKX