From:
Howard Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 May 2013 06:44:18 -0500
All in the ear of the beholder.
I started out with a johnson valiant.  I tuned the transmitter by pressing
my ear to the metal case, and listening for the dip in hum.  I tuned the
grid by listening to the click of the meter needle.  Later I counted the
dial turns on the drake radios.  Since each turn was 25 khz, you could get
with in 2 khz or so quite easilly.  I have wondered if a neon light coupled
to a feed line could be read by an audible light probe.  How good would
maximum brightness be?  Interesting experiment.  Then in the late 80's I
bought a triton 4 and found the speech box that tentec made for it.  I
thought I had died and gone to heaven.
I have an Omni D and still have that box.  That's a backup radio.
We've come a long way.
H T Kaufman MSW LCSW
Adaptive Technology Instructor