From:
Tom Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2014 10:10:57 -0400
Hi, all.

As you may recall, I have a problem here where my AL811H amplifier relays
occasionally trip when I am transmitting, and I'm trying to figure out why
it happens.

I have checked all of my connections between the TS590, my ARB704 buffer
box, and the AL811, and they seem to be firmly in place.

I'm now starting to wonder if my amp relay tripping issue has something to
do with my TS590 rig settings.

As I think I said before, I use between 60 and 65 watts to drive the
amplifier, which, as far as I understand,  is well within the limits
prescribed by Amaritron.

I checked some other settings on the TS590, though, and wonder if one of
those is creating my problem.

Currently, I have my mic gain set at 50, and my carrier set at 50.

I have the PF2 button set for voice 2, which reads SWR and something else
when I press the meter switch button and transmit.

I'm not sure what that other function is, but I have noticed that when I
back the carrier way down to say 13, that other meter function says A 13 or
14, rather than A "over" when I have the carrier set to 50.

I'm wondering if my carrier is set too high, and if I should back that down
considerably.

Over the week-end, when I get more time, I'm going to follow Kelvin's
earlier-posted procedure for determining the maximum input power for driving
the AL811H, and hopefully, that will help further.

I'd appreciate any suggestions anyone might have for other things I might
try.

And, if someone can clarify the alternate voice 2 meter function, that would
be helpful as well.

Tom Behler: KB8TYJ