From:
Michael Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Mar 2011 10:40:12 -0230
Hi Kevin:

From the research I've done, I'd probably save a few bucks and buy the Ameritron ALS-1300, MFJ-998B Intele automatic antenna tuner and Ameritron ARI-500 auto band switch.
The MFJ tuner is a 1500W capable tuner, the Amp can deliver 1200 out with 85w of drive and you can auto band switch with the ari-500, just tune your VFO and the amp follows.
Also, depending on the transceiver you use, TS-590 I believe, you can set up the tuner to tune by pushing the tune button on your transceiver. Of course, you'd have to get the proper cable to mate with the 590.
I'd be weary of THP and SPE. They generally require a hi power auto tuner to protect them and you'd probably end up plopping down the bucks for the tuner after the fact.
As a price guide, you can check you local Ameritron/MFJ dealer, ALS-1300, 2999CAN, MFJ-998B, 780CAN, ARI-500 around 180CAN.
So you could probably get this package for around  4500USD. If you buy the THP or SPE you could be looking at close to 5K if you buy the tuner with that AMP.
You could also take a look at the Acom 1000 which will give you 6 M where the Ameritron will not.
You could get the 1000 for 3299 at arraysolutions and then add the MFJ auto tuner as well for probably under 4K for the package.

HTH & 73:

Michael De VO1RYN

P S

Keep in mind that these amps, can only handle a 3/1 SWR max. The Acom can as well which is why you should add the tuner.
Now if your looking at an HF remote solution, as I was doing, then the SPE has Computer control capability but again there's the 4KUSD price and 3/1 SWR Max so I'd probably go Alpha to save on the hassle.