From:
CHRISTOPHER SCHULTE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 2008 10:02:21 -0400
Martin,

The D-star dongle is a dongle that hooks up to the USB port on a computer
and allows you to use d-star over the internet.  You connect to d-star
repeaters that have an internet gateway, and talk to people through the
dongle.  It's similar to EchoLink, in that it uses VOIP technology, but
you're limited to d-star only repeaters.  With EchoLink, you can have a bit
more flexibility, and there are some who think that anything that uses the
internet in combination with radio really isn't ham radio.  But the bottom
line is, the d-star dongle is a relatively cheap way to have access to that
form of technology.

73,
Chris, w8cjs