From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Dec 2012 15:23:30 -0700
that is very very scary stuff.
I have been exceedingly fortunate in the past 10 years of working a guide
dog to have never gotten that close to a moving car, or at least, not one
that was moving at more than a crawl out of a driveway or something.

It occurs to me, that for us to obtain a guide dog, we must train thoroughly
for up to 4 weeks for our first dog.  If drivers had to do even half as much
training to obtain a drivers license as we are required to do just to work a
dog for mobility, everyone would be a whole lot safer on the roads.
Those of you who do have a guide dog, think of this.  How good would it be
if you simply had to write a test and then your dog was handed over to you.
No training, no familiarization just simply handed over and you were
expected to know how to work the dog, care for the dog and keep yourself,
your dog, and other people safe.  This is essentially what happens when you
obtain a drivers license.  Some places have insentives to lower insurance
costs by taking a drivers education course, but these are fairly
minimalistic as well.  Now, put this completely untrained person behind the
wheel of a large fast moving vehicle, add emotions, impatients, stress and
inattention to detail and it's a recipe for disaster.
But, those of us who use dogs, can't imagine not receiving that complete
training to simply walk around with a dog lol.

Something wrong with this picture?

stay well pat and thank god, or what ever you choose to thank,  that it
wasn't worse than it was.

73
Colin, V A6BKX