From:
Michael Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2012 10:19:23 -0230
Hi Harry:

I think you might want to check your 570 as others have suggested. After that, try using a manual tuner and a TW-1. Hope you have one of those because if you don't, they are hard to find and those who have them aren't parting with them.
Have you spoken to your Land Lord about possibly putting up a small dipole on the property away from the building? It seems to me that you might have some serious problems with the 570 though because the tuner in that rig is pretty robust. I can tune my G5RV with mine along with the Hygain 18 foot vertical our club has. If all else fails, you could try a remote set up of your own if you know someone who has the space to host an HF rig for you. I ran 2 types of remote stations, one using a soundcard interface with skype and one using the remote rig products from Microbit out of Sweden.
The remote rig product was excellent and even allowed CW while the skype setup was strictly Phone.
Just some options to look at. There must be an antenna that can work. As for the remote bases on echolink, I've had issues with those as well, no audio and no particular way to control them unless you install some add on third party software.
Don't quit HF yet, between us all on the list here, we should find a solution for you.

73:

Michael DE VO1AX