From:
Howard Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 2008 06:32:15 -0500
Bill, your my kind of man!!!  Ringo Rangers are still around and popular.
They like most verticals depend on a ground plane to work well.  If I
remember, the antenna is two 5/8 waves with a sliding matching stub.  I am
thinking that with the advances in technology, see the mobile screw driver
antenna for example, you might do well with that duel band mag mount on the
cabbinet, but the real variable is what can you hit, and what's there if you
can hit it.
It's nice to get that 25 mile away repeater, but what if nobody is ever on
it?