From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 May 2006 21:09:02 -0400
Hi.

Begging your pardon, John, but you are wrong.  Many antennas radiate but
exhibit impedances far from 50 ohms.  End fed random wires are just one
example.

If I could have my druthers, I'd have a coax fed resonant antenna for every
band, but since I have restricted space, I put up what wire I can get in
the air, and match it with the tuner to the radio.  And, by the way, my non
resonant wire antenna still out performs the resonant vertical on 80
meters, proving that VSWR isn't everything.

I will stick by my comments.  The MFJ tuner does match antennas over a
wider range than the LDG AT200Pro does, and comes much closer to the kind
of matches one could obtain with a manual tuner.  And, that is the real
issue here.  Most of the loads that I am working with would be well within
the range of my old manual tuner.

By the way, if you are going to run in the 100 watt range, and happen
across an old Ten Tec 227 or 228 antenna tuner is decent shape, grab
it.  Those little tuners would load anything that could be loaded, and a
few things that never should be loaded (like G5RVs on 160 meters!)..  I
still have one, and I've tried a lot of different tuners over the years and
never found one that beat it!

73, de Lou K2LKK

Louis Kim Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK