From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2008 21:48:33 -0400
Hi Eric,

Well, I've got a few things going on here that a second sound card should
help  with.  I do a lot of contests, and my contest logger allows recording
of all the received audio to  .wav files.   With 1 sound card, JAWS speech
gets into the  recording.    Sometimes I also use DVK (digital voice keying)
where you transmit  .wav files such as CQ or contest exchange.  With only 1
soundcard you need to set typing echo to off and mute other keys in JAWS
keyboard manager.

Good luck with your new setup and in running psk.   Like others on this list
I've had some  success with DigiTalk, but not since updating  to XP service
pack 2 some years ago.  Program crashes now.  Limited success with Digipan
as incoming text won't read properly.  Here again, a second sound card would
help, or typing echo off and mute keys as mentioned above to prevent JAWS
speech from being transmitted.

I do prefer RTTY over PSK and  ran it a lot in the '90's with a bit of
usable vision.  Got back into it about 1 1/2 years ago with JAWS and  it
reads well enough to get by.  Have logged a few hundred QSO's and about 90
countries in that time.  Since I run FSK, there are no audio tones and  no
chance of JAWS speech going out over the air, so a single sound card has
worked fine.  AFSK would be a different story and would require a second
sound card or again muting the keys.

73, Steve KW3A