From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 2010 13:39:58 -0500
The fact that you can't hear both sides of a QSO is  no problem, and is
usually the case more often than not.  The fact that nobody hears you is  a
problem.

Radials don't need to be all spread  out equally  and straight out like
spokes on a wheel.   They can be bent, zig-zagged, L shaped or whatever it
takes to fit the situation.   Try not to let them cross  over each other and
don't bring them back towards the antenna like in a U shape.

Just lay out 2 or 3  30 foot wires and check your swr.    I have a gut
feeling that this thing is not tuned correctly.  The L shaped bracket  that
comes from the bottom of the 30 meter section and attaches to the 40 meter
coil is what   determines  lowest swr  point on 20 meters.   There is a
tuning procedure in the manual starting with 75/80 meters and working up.
There is also some interaction between some of the bands.    If you aren't
willing or able to set it up  correctly, you are just beating your head
against a wall and it will never  work great.    Life is too short to go
nuts over a hobby.    Sell it and put up a wire or two.

73, Steve KW3A