From:
Bob Tinney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Tinney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2006 16:38:40 -0400
Hi,

Here is my high voltage story.  I was rebuilding an old 39 megahertz FM rig
for six meter operation.  I had taken out the old
dyna motor and installed an old television transformer and I was in the
process of making final
adjustments to the rig before putting it together.  Well, my baby sister
came around and while I had my hand inside the rig, she hit the push to talk
switch on the mic.  The 1000 volts on the plate caps arced through my thumb
and though I really didn't feel any pain, I could smell burning  flesh.  I
push my little sister acrossed the room to get her to let go of the mic with
one hand and when I pulled my other hand out out of the rig, I found that my
thumb had a very small hole right through it.  I showed it to my Mother, who
promptly fainted.

by the way, it never bled and healed just fine.  My little sister was not
hurt and after about ten minutes so that I could stop shaking, I went right
back to work and put that rig on the air that same day.

That's why I love transistors!
73
Bob, [log in to unmask], K8LR
Skype Name: bobtinn