From:
Bob Tinney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Tinney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Sep 2002 22:12:28 -0400
I follow the same procedure as Louis when I solder the center pin,however, I
do handle the brade connection a little differently.  If I'm soldering small
coax that requires a sleeve, I place the center pin which has already been
soldered in a vice or some kind of holding tool.  The area that has holes
that accept solder ly between the threads and the pin end of the connecter.
I place my 150 watt soldering gun on the groove in which the soldering holes
are located.  I'm holding the gun with one hand and I hold the solder in the
other hand about three inches from the end and put the end of the solder
into one of the solder holes in the connector.  The gun is not touching this
hole as I want the connector to melt the solder, not the gun.  I then turn
on the gun and heat the connector until an inch or so of solder melts.  I
usually do this for a couple of the holes opposit each other.

For rg8 coax, I've had trouble melting the coax in heating the shell.  So
I've found a way that has worked for me for years whether inside or out of
doors.  I start as before as Louis described but I do not solder the center
pin immediately.  I take two or three turns of electrical tape around the
coax just behind where you've stripped back the brade.  After you have wound
a few layers of tape, fold the brade over the tape rapped coax and simpley
screw it into the coax connector.  It must screw in kind of hard or you will
not get a good electrical connection.  Once I'm happy with the tention and
have screwed the connector on  to the coax, I check for shorts and if
everything is ok, I solder the center pin.  I then either put silacone
rubber or electrical tape over the solder holes in the connector,and I'm
done!  I have never had a connector oxidize on me!

Bob Tinney, K8LR, [log in to unmask]
www.access-devices.com