BLIND-DEV Archives

Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI

BLIND-DEV@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Prof Norm Coombs <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BLIND-DEV: Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 12:45:47 -0700

http://www.rit.edu/~easi

Coombs says, "The one time that blindness was an advantage was, way back in
the early 1980s, when I helped my college launch an online learning
program.  Because I am blind, the computer was for me a communication tool
while others had not yet understood that.  This resulted in my becoming an
Internet, distance learning pioneer.  Banks and Coombs have used distance
learning extensively in EASI's outreach, and they discuss distance learning
and accessibility in a video from a recent conference.  They believe that
many of the insights that make online learning more accessible for students
with disabilities also result in making it more accessible and usable for
everyone.

In November, 2 of EASI's online courses are directly relevant to assist
colleges and universities make their online learning systems fully
accessible for students with disabilities:

Barrier-free E-learning http://easi.cc/workshops/bfel.htm
Accessible Internet Multimedia http://easi.cc/workshops/mmedia.htm

In January, EASI will offer the first presentation of another relevant course:
Designing Accessible Course Content Using Familiar Software
http://easi.cc/workshops/dacc.htm
This course is aimed specifically at course designers who are not experts
in computers and in information technology.  It will enable them to provide
accessible course content without having to turn themselves into technology
gurus!

EASI believes in making the process of providing accessibility itself easy
for content creators.

** EASI has begun 2 series of synchronous voice chat clinics to deal with
specific accessibility issues in hour-long, live presentations where the
audience can also participate:
http://easi.cc/clinic.htm

                                                                        ------------------------------
                EASI's October, month-long online courses:
Beginner Barrier-free Web Design: http://easi.cc/workshops/easiweb.htm
Train the Trainer: http://easi.cc/workshops/train.htm
Learning Disabilities and Information Technology
http://easi.cc/workshops/ld.htm
(a package of five courses will earn the Certificate in Accessible
Information Technology)
http://easi.cc/workshop.htm

                                        Norman Coombs, Ph.D.
CEO EASI (Equal Access to Software and Information)
22196 Caminito Tasquillo
        Laguna Hills CA 92653
home: (949)  855-4852
        Cell: (949) 922-5992