BLIND-DEV Archives

Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI

BLIND-DEV@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rev Clyde Shideler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BLIND-DEV: Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 15:27:56 -0500
>Date: 28 Sep 2001 14:27:53 -0400
>Sender: <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Mary Watkins <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Accessible Movie Update - Sept. 28 to Oct. 4
>To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
>
>If you received this message via a friend or a listserv and would like to
learn about new closed captioned and described films directly from the
Media Access Group at WGBH (The Caption Center, Descriptive Video Service
and the CPB/WGBH National Center for Accessible Media), please send a
message with "add mopix" in the subject line to [log in to unmask]  If you
would like to be removed from the list, please send a message with the the
words "delete mopix" in the subject line.  Thank you.

>Motion Picture Access (MoPix) News:
>The National Association of the Deaf has released a new statement on
captioning which includes an updated position on captioning for movie
theaters.  Visit www.nad.org for more information.

>MONSTERS, INC., the new film from Pixar Studios (TOY STORY 1 & 2), will
now be both closed captioned and *described* for its Nov. 2 debut thanks to
Buena Vista Pictures, the film's distributor.

>We have received many inquiries as to whether HARRY POTTER AND THE
SORCERER'S STONE will be closed captioned and described for its November
debut in MoPix-equipped theaters.  We've contacted the studio distributing
the film to request it be made accessible.  If you would like to contact
the studio directly, the address and phone number (voice only) appear below:

>Warner Bros.
>Feature Film Distribution
>4000 Warner Blvd.
>Burbank, CA 91522
>818 954-6000
>
>More News... NEW THEATERS, NEW CHAINS!
>A.  Mann's Hollywood & Highland (now under construction) will install Rear
Window Captioning and DVS Theatrical systems in two of the complex's
theaters.  This theatre is in Los Angeles, next to the new Kodak Academy
Theatre (site of future Academy Awards ceremonies).

>B.  Famous Players Theatres, Canada's largest theatre chain, will install
five systems in Ontario before the end of the year.

>C.  Gulf States Theatres, which currently has the systems installed in
their Palace Theatre 20 Elmwood in Harahan, LA is in the midst of
installing another system in their new theater complex, the Clearview 12 in
Metairie, LA.

>D.  More good news to come your way very soon...
>
>Currently available with closed captions using the Rear Window Captioning
system, and audio descriptions utilizing the DVS Theatrical System:

>CAPTAIN CORELLI'S MANDOLIN, rated R from Universal Pictures
>
>AMERICAN PIE 2, rated R from Universal Pictures
>
>JURASSIC PARK III, rated PG-13 from Universal Pictures
>
>and currently playing with closed captions only (no
>descriptions for this film are available):
>
>THE PRINCESS DIARIES, rated G from Buena Vista Pictures
>
>Information about theaters equipped with the closed captioning (for
moviegoers who are deaf and hard of hearing) and audio description (for
moviegoers who are blind or have low vision) systems, debut dates,
showtimes and directions to the theaters appear below.

>Coming soon (dates subject to change by the studios)...
>
>- THE LAST CASTLE from DreamWorks Pictures will debut with closed
>captions on October 19
>- RIDING IN CARS WITH BOYS from Sony Pictures will debut with
>closed captions and descriptions on October 19
>- MONSTERS, INC. from Buena Vista Pictures will debut with closed captions
AND DESCRIPTIONS! on November 2

>More Titles (several additional fall and winter titles will be announced
as soon as they're confirmed):

>- ALI from Sony Pictures (closed captions and descriptions) scheduled for
a December 7 debut
>- ROAD TO PERDITION from DreamWorks Pictures (closed captions and
descriptions) scheduled for a January 11 debut
>- TIME MACHINE from DreamWorks Pictures (closed captions and
>descriptions)
>
>IMAX Films - find a complete list of described and or closed captioned
large format films, as well as locations of accessible theaters, at
www.mopix.org.

>Currently Playing:
> ***Please read movies, dates and times carefully.***
>
>Atlanta
>Parkway Pointe 15 General Cinema - September 21 to September 27
>CAPTAIN CORELLI'S MANDOLIN   1:30  4:10  7:25  10:10 PM
>
>The General Cinema Parkway Pointe is located at 3101 Cobb Parkway in
Cumberland, GA, about 1/2 mile south of the Galleria and Cumberland Mall,
next to Borders Books.

>Baltimore Area
>General Cinema Owings Mills
>AMERICAN PIE 2 - *Monday Oct. 1 to Thursday Oct. 4*
>2:00  5:00  8:00  10:30 PM
>
>The Owings Mills 17 is located just off of Rt. 795 northwest of Baltimore
on the ring road surrounding the Owings Mills Mall.

>Boston
>1.  General Cinema Fenway Theatre
>- no film this week -
>
>The Fenway Theatre is located at 201 Brookline Avenue, about 2 blocks away
>from Fenway Park, in the Landmark Center, formerly the old Sears building.
>It is accessible by an easy walk from either the Fenway stop or the
>Kenmore Square stop on the Green Line of the T.  There is a parking lot
>for more than 1000 cars in the Landmark Center building.  Bring your
>parking ticket to the box office for validation -- only $2.
>
>2.  General Cinema Framingham 16
>- no film this week -
>
>The Framingham 16 is located 20 miles west of downtown Boston, at 22
Flutie Pass, between the Natick Mall and Shoppers World.

>Chicago - Lombard
>1.  General Cinema Yorktown
>- no film this week -
>
>General Cinema Yorktown 18 is located 25 minutes west of downtown Chicago
on Butterfield Road, just east of the intersection with Highland Avenue
adjacent to the Yorktown Shopping Center and across the street from the
Embassy Suites Hotel.

>2.  General Cinema City North - September 28 to October 4
>JURASSIC PARK III  2:00   4:50   7:05 PM
>
>General Cinema City North 14 is located on the north side of Chicago at
2600 N. Western Avenue, between Fullerton and Diversey at the Kennedy
Expressway.

>Los Angeles
>1.  General Cinema Sherman Oaks
>- no film this week -
>
>The General Cinema Sherman Oaks is located in Sherman Oaks, California, near
>the intersection of the 405 and the 101, at 4500 Van Nuys Blvd.
>
>2.  Loews Cineplex/Universal City Cinemas at CityWalk
>Theater 5
>100 Universal City Plaza
>Universal City   818 508-0711
>- no film this week -
>
>3. & 4. -- Coming Soon!
>Two equipped theatres at the new Mann's Hollywood & Highland Cinema Complex

>Milwaukee/Wauwatosa, WI
>General Cinema Mayfair Mall
>- no film this week -
>
>Located on the east side of Mayfair Mall, about 6 miles west of downtown
Milwaukee.

>New Orleans
>1. Palace Theatre 20 Elmwood (part of the Gulf States Theatres chain)
>Theater #1
>1200 Elmwood Park Blvd.
>Harahan, Louisiana  504 733-2029
>- no film this week -
>
>The Palace Theatre 20 is located off Clearview Parkway behind the Big
K-Mart in Harahan, 15 minutes from downtown New Orleans.

>Coming Soon!
>2. A new Rear Window Captioning and DVS Theatrical installation at the
Clearview 12 in Metairie, LA (also owned by Gulf States Theatres)

>New York City/NJ Area
>1.  General Cinema Bay Plaza (Bronx)
>- no film this week -
>
>The General Cinema Bay Plaza is located right off of Rt. 95 in the north
Bronx (near the Westchester border) at the Bay Plaza Shopping Center.
(Take the Bay Plaza/Co-op City Exit off Rt. 95.)  The theatre is located
behind the Bay Plaza shopping center, around the corner from Applebee's
restaurant.

>2.  General Cinema Clifton Commons, Clifton, NJ
>- no film this week -
>
>General Cinema Clifton Commons is located west of the Meadowlands on
eastbound Rt. 3 in Clifton, near the large Barnes & Noble and Sports
Authority stores.

>**********************************
>Phildelphia Area
>General Cinema Plymouth Meeting
>- no film this week -
>
>The General Cinema Plymouth Meeting is located at Plymouth Meeting Mall,
northwest of downtown Philadelphia, adjacent to the large IKEA furniture
store.  There is a public bus which runs from Broad Street in downtown all
the way to Plymouth Meeting Mall.

>Seattle
>1. General Cinema Pacific Place
>- no film this week -
>
>General Cinema Pacific Place is located in downtown Seattle at the corner
of Sixth and Pine Streets.

>2.  Cinerama
>-No film this week-
>
>Cinerama is located in downtown Seattle at the corner of 4th and Lenora
Streets, near the Westin Hotel.

>Springfield, Virginia/ D.C. Area
>General Cinema Springfield Mall
>THE PRINCESS DIARIES (cc only) - September 28 to October 4
>1:00 PM and 4:00 PM
>
>Springfield Mall is located on Franconia Road just east of Rt. 95, about
12 miles from Washington, D.C.  The equipped auditorium is located near the
mall entrance with the large #2 sign outside.

>Closed captioning of all films provided by The Caption Center at WGBH.
Descriptions provided by WGBH's Descriptive Video Service.  Rear Window
Captioning and DVS Theatrical were developed by WGBH, Boston's public
broadcaster, to make feature films accessible to deaf, hard-of-hearing,
blind or visually impaired movie fans the date films open in theaters
nationwide and during regular showtimes.

>For more information on the WGBH's Motion Picture Access (MoPix) efforts,
please visit www.mopix.org, e-mail [log in to unmask] or call 617 300-3400 v,
-2489 TTY.

>Thanks to General Cinemas, Gulf States, Loews, Mann's and Famous Players
Theatres, IMAX and OMNIMAX theatres, the Hollywood studios and to all the
movie fans out there.