BLIND-DEV Archives

Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI

BLIND-DEV@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rev Clyde Shideler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BLIND-DEV: Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 21:42:18 -0500
  1) Florida's First Talking ATMs
        by "Lainey Feingold, Esq." <[log in to unmask]>

For immediate release (December 4, 2000)  Contacts listed at the end of
this email:

December 4, 2000

Bank of America ATMs have something to talk about in Florida

CHARLOTTE - Bank of America today announced that it has installed Florida's
first talking ATMs in nine cities across the state.  The Florida cities to
receive the talking ATMs first are Cocoa Beach, Coconut Creek, Fort
Lauderdale, Jacksonville, Miami, Ocala, Orlando, St. Petersburg and Tampa
(exact locations are listed below).

Talking ATMs provide audible instructions to persons who cannot view
information on an ATM screen.  These machines make it easier for
vision-impaired users to withdraw cash, deposit money and perform other ATM
transactions.  The ATMs have audio jacks that deliver spoken instructions
privately to protect the security of blind and low-vision users.

Doug Hall, Chair of the Access Committee of the Florida Council of the
Blind, praised the bank's announcement.  "We are thrilled that Bank of
America has taken this important step in providing independent access to
banking services in our state.  We applaud Bank of America and urge other
banks in Florida to follow its example."

Earlier this year, Bank of America, in conjunction with the California
Council of the Blind and several blind individuals, announced it would
install more than 2,500 talking ATMs in California and Florida - its two
biggest markets - over a three-year period.  There are currently 68 Bank of
America talking ATMs in California, where talking ATMs were first
introduced in May of this year.  According to Lainey Feingold and Linda
Dardarian, lawyers for the California Council of the Blind, the California
machines "have been a great success and have placed Bank of America in the
forefront of financial institutions in providing access to the blind
community."  Plans to install the ATMs in other states where Bank of
America operates will be worked out early next year.

"The Talking ATMs have been very well received by our customers in
California," said Bill Raymond, senior vice president and manager of the
Bank of America ATM program.  "Bank of America is pleased to again
demonstrate our leadership in serving the needs of our customers and
communities."

For more information about Talking ATMs, California customers may contact
Bank of America at 1.800.ENABLEU for assistance.   Florida customers should
contact 1.800.299.BANK.

Bank of America, with $672 billion in assets, is the largest bank in the
United States. It has full-service operations in 21 states and the District
of Columbia and provides financial products and services to 30 million
households and 2 million businesses, as well as international corporate
financial services for business transactions in 190 countries. The
company's stock (ticker: BAC) is listed on the
New York, Pacific and London stock exchanges, and certain shares
are listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange.

www.bankofamerica.com

First Bank of America Talking ATM Locations in Florida:

Cocoa Beach
Causeway, 4300 N. Atlantic Avenue

Coconut Creek
Coconut Creek, 4803 Coconut Creek Parkway

Fort Lauderdale
Galleria Mall, 2414 E. Sunrise Boulevard
Broward & 441, 3800 W. Broward Boulevard

Jacksonville
Cobblestone, 2709 Monument Road
Downtown Jacksonville, 50 N. Laura Street

Miami
Brickell, 701 Brickell Avenue

Ocala
Boulevard, 2326 E. Silver Springs Boulevard

Orlando
Church Street, 55 W Church Street
Fashion Square, 3117 E Colonial Drive

St. Petersburg
Exxon - Sun Coast, 6201 US HWY 19 North

Tampa
Hillsborough County Courthouse, 419 Pierce Street
Westshore Mall, 100 N. Westshore Boulevard
Davis Island, 337 E. Davis Boulevard
CarrollWood, 10301 N Dale Mabry Hwy, Hillsborough County

Reporters May Contact:

Holly S. Berger, 1.704.388.1227
Media Relations, Bank of America

Chair of the Access Committee of the Florida Council of the Blind:
Doug Hall, 1.904.239-6000 Ext. 6040

Califonia Council of the Blind:

Lainey Feingold, 1.510.848.8125

Linda Dardarian (Saperstein, Goldstein, Demchak & Baller), 1.510.763.9800

Lainey Feingold
Law Office of Elaine B. Feingold
1524 Scenic Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94708