BLIND-DEV Archives

Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI

BLIND-DEV@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

BLIND-DEV: Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 06:13:08 -0600
Hello:
        This is Linda writing in regards to someone doing a research paper on
guide dogs.  I saw this posting on the Juno List, and thought I would
answer the questions in reference to care of guide dogs after training.
        When the handler (guide dog user) returns home with their new guide dog,
they maintain the feeding and outdoor-duty schedules already established at
the school.  Moreover, they continue the daily grooming of their dog so as
to brush out dirt and loose fur.  This lessens the amount of hair that
floats around the house or in public, and minimizes dog odor.  As for diet,
the handler may choose to switch to a different brand of food.  However,
this change must be gradual as a dog's stomach and digestive system is very
sensitive to sudden dietary changes.  A week should be allowed for the
change to take place.  Here, small portions of the new food is mixed in
with the original food, and with each day, more portions of the new food is
added while the original food is decreased.  This not only allows for the
dog to become used to his/her new diet, but it allows for the handler to
observe the progress or negative effects of the change--stool content when
picking up after the dog, whether or not the dog has more gas, etc.
Usually, though, most dogs adjust very well physically to dietary changes
(if done properly).
        When I groom Bixby, I first use a thick comb to loosen up some of the hair
he's about to shed.  Then I use a wire brush to brush out the loosened fur.
 I go over his coat in its entirety several times when I brush.  This not
only insures that loosened fur is taken out, but it also takes out dirt off
his scalp, and any lint or spilled food or liquid he may have laid down in
in public.  I also  decided to switch Bixby's diet from Imes to Lamb and
Rice Formula because it was cheaper, and Imes was causing him to develop an
odorous breath.  I slowly added the Lamb and Rice Formula to his Imes until
the latter was eventually cut from his diet by the end of the week.  Not
only did I notice that the odor in his breath was not as strong, but his
stools were not as soft.  Moreover, his coat became shinier even though I
had been brushing him daily when he was eating Imes.
        It is very important for the handler to do most or all of the care
work--feeding, grooming, etc.--as this maintains and strengthens the bond
between the dog and the handler.  It is similar to taking care of a child
in which there are responsibilities a mother has to the child as much as a
handler has to the dog.  Moreover, the more the handler does for the dog,
the more he/she gets to know their dog's likes and dislikes, habits,
temperament.  Of course, caring for a dog does not just involve all work.
There is also time for recreation--playing fetch outdoors, wrestling with
the dog on the floor in a play area in the house, supervising him/her when
he/she plays with their toys, etc.  This not only allows the handler and
the dog to bond in a different environment than work, but it allows for the
handler to physically touch their dog through cuddling when you praise
him/her for bringing back the object they are fetching or when you're
wrestling with him/her.  Moreover, playtime gives the dog a chance to be
more relaxed and allowed to do what he cannot do while in harness--running
around, licking people, etc.  Of course, there are still rules to follow so
that the dog doesn't get the idea that what they're doing is approved
of--getting up on furniture, jumping up on people, barking excessively.
        When Bixby and I are at home, we play with his tug-of-rope toy together,
play fetch with his kong, or I scratch his body vigorously; he loves all of
these activities.  Sometimes, I mix grooming with some play because he
likes being groomed when lying down.  When I have to get him to sit up so
that I can get the side that was facing down to the floor (if he was lying
on his left side, that's the side I groom once he's sitting up), I let him
playfully paw at my hand or lightly chew on my hand.  This is his way of
saying, "try to get my collar if you can," or "now you can't get my
collar".  It's similar to a child who says, "try and catch me," as he/she
is running in want for the mother to chase him/her.
        Introducing a dog to something they're afraid of in the beginning must
also be important.  I address this issue as there will always be new
encounters for you and your dog that were never encountered in training at
the school.  It is the handler's responsibility to make experiences as less
stressful as possible.  For example, it is important for the handler to try
to remain calm when lost in traveling since the handler still has
responsibility to themselves and the dog just as much as the dog has
responsibility to themselves and the handler.  This is part of the teamwork
process.  In addition to situations in travel, there will also be
unpleasant experiences encountered at home.  The dog may not like having
his toe nails clipped or his ears cleaned.  The handler has to introduce
situations like these very slowly and follow each episode of introduction
with a treat.  In my case, Bixby hates having his ears cleaned because I
carefully go far into his ear canal to get all the wax and dirt out that
end up irritating his ears.  I always soothe him by talking to him and
massaging his neck while my husband does the ear cleaning.  Even if he
tries to squirm around, though, I still give him a treat afterwards for at
least trying to hold still.  He does much better now about holding still
than he did in the beginning, but he still gets a treat after each
ear-cleaning session.  Though Bixby still hates having his ears cleaned,
the excitement of a treat afterwards is what motivates him to endure the
whole ordeal.
        Of course, there are trials and tribulations from time to time in being a
dog handler where Bixby may get on my nerves or I get on his nerves, but
all in all, being a guide dog user is more helpful in traveling than using
a cane.  Moreover, caring for a dog can be therapeutic even for the sanest
person as it helps in dealing with every day stresses because you know that
you and your dog are going through the stresses of getting lost or
encountering rude people rather than just you by yourself as a cane user.
        I hope I have answered your questions clearly and covered all of your
questions.  If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to
ask.  You can e-mail me at [log in to unmask]  My name is Linda
Radtke.  I hope I can be of a lot of help in completing your research
paper.  I wish you good luck in your project.  Again, please do not
hesitate to ask any further questions you may have.
Sincerely,

Linda N. Radtke