BLIND-DEV Archives

Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI

BLIND-DEV@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BLIND-DEV: Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 1997 23:31:05 -0700
The stuff you saw was from the expensive version of the printer, $12,000
approximately.  They are looking for letters of support to modify a less
expensive version of a similar printer, to do the same thing.

David Anbdrews

On 1997-08-14 [log in to unmask] said:
 DB>I thought such a printer already existed.  When I was out at C-SUN
 DB>last year, Blazie was showing a printer that produced raised
 DB>tactile print.  We even brought back a few tactile maps of the US.
 DB>Are you speaking of something different.  This printer laid down a
 DB>rubbery line. Dave
 DB>In your message you wrote:
 DB>>August 13, 1997
 DB>>Robert S. Jaquiss
 DB>>Project Associate
 DB>>Braille Research Center
 DB>>1800 Johnson Street
 DB>>Baltimore, MD 21230
 DB>>Phone: (503) 626-7174 (Home)
 DB>>       (503) 627-4444 (Work)
 DB>>Email: [log in to unmask]
 DB>>Hello:
 DB>>     I am writing to ask for letters of support for obtaining a
 DB>>grant to produce a printer capable of producing Raised Line Graphic
 DB>>images.  Those of you who attended the National Federation of the
 DB>>Blind convention may recall that a resolution was passed asking the
 DB>>federal government to assist in further research in this area.
 DB>>Many convention attendees had the opportunity to examine a sample
 DB>>of the output of a Tektronix Inc. Phaser 600 printer demonstrating
 DB>>its ability to produce Raised Line Graphic images.  Tektronix Inc.
 DB>>also produces a related product, the Phaser 300.  This printer can
 DB>>print on 11X17 inch paper.  The Phaser 300 and the Phaser 600 use
 DB>>the same printing technology.  If all goes as planned, the modified
 DB>>Phaser 300 would be able to produce sharp, well defined tactile
 DB>>images.  It will be possible to have lines of varying width,
 DB>>height, texture (dotted, dashed etc).  It will also be possible to
 DB>>have filled areas of varying texture.  As part of the process for
 DB>>obtaining funding, it is necessary to obtain letters of support
 DB>>from members of the blindness community.  Letters should contain
 DB>>comments in the following areas:
 DB>>The need for access to raised line maps and diagrams in school.
 DB>>The need for access to raised line diagrams, graphs and
 DB>>spreadsheets at work.
 DB>>Did you change careers or give up on a career because you couldn't
 DB>>access graphic images?
 DB>>Would your career opportunities be improved if you could have rapid
 DB>>access to high quality Raised Line Graphics?
 DB>>I need letters as soon as possible.  An Email copy is good, but I
 DB>>would also like to receive a copy on paper.  Paper mail should be
 DB>>sent to the postal address as shown above.  Thank you for your
 DB>>support.
 DB>>                            Sincerely
 DB>>                         Robert Jaquiss
 DB>>[log in to unmask]  Public Access User --- Not affiliated with
 DB>>Teleport Public Access UNIX and Internet at (503) 220-1016
 DB>(2400-14400, N81)

David Andrews ([log in to unmask])
or BBS: (telnet to nfbnet.org) or call (612) 696-1975

Net-Tamer V 1.09  - Registered