BLIND-DEV Archives

Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI

BLIND-DEV@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BLIND-DEV: Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 12:45:29 -0000
Hello Listers,

As several people have asked me to keep them up to date on
any
new manuals I might write, I should like to make everyone
aware
of a new from the keyboard tutorial which I have just
completed.
It is to do with many different types of sound playing,
copying,
converting, sound editing, and so forth.

The tutorial has 18 main sections, around 160 sub-sections
and
just under 43,000 words. The Table of contents is underneath
this
message and I'm sure it gives a clear picture of the scope
and
depth of coverage of most of the software. If this sort of
thing
does not interest you, please accept my apologies at this
stage
and just press your delete key.

The tutorial is available as a plain ASCII text file for 28
US
dollars.

Would any interested persons, please contact me on:

Phone: 0113 2575957 (from the UK)

Phone: 01144 113 2575957 (from the US)

E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Best regards,
John Wilson.

                           ********

                  AUDIO PLAYING, COPYING AND
                SOUND EDITING FROM THE KEYBOARD

                              BY

                          JOHN WILSON

                    Copyright February 2001
                      All Rights Reserved

                       TABLE OF CONTENTS

(To find a particular section or heading, use your word-
processor's or editor's search facility, e.g. type "section
6"
to find that section. Type the string "Downloading Winamp
from
the Internet"
to find that subheading. Additionally, all main sections
are separated by a centred row of eight asterisks.)

Foreword

Restrictions

Available Manual Formats

Target Group

Conventions

Section 1: Introduction

Section 2: Types of CD Drives and Disks

Types of Recordable CD Disks

Write-Only Disks

Re-Writable CD Disks

Compact Disk Capacities

Types of CD Drives

CD-ROM

CD-R

CD-RW

Section 3: Installing an Internal CD Drive

Hardware components

CD Drive Description

Installation Procedure

Section 4: Basic Compact Disk Music Playing Directly from
the CD
Drive

Features of the front Panel of a CD Drive

Enabling the AutoPlay Feature of Windows

Windows Music CD AutoPlay

Changing Playback Volume and Quality

Section 5: Windows CD Player

Playing a Standard Music CD with the CD Player

The View Menu

CD Player Volume Control

The Options Menu

The Disk Menu

The Play List

Section 6: Sound Cards and Windows Volume Control

Types of Sound Cards

The Windows Volume Control

Example of Changing a Sound Property--The Microphone
Settings

Section 7: Windows Media Player 6.4

Launching Media Player

How to Play Media Files on the Internet

How to Save a Media File to Hard Disk

Where to Find Media Files to Play on the Web

Playing a Media File from CD-ROM or Hard Disk

Playing Encrypted Packaged Media Files

The three Media Player Screen Displays

Previewing the Contents of a Show

Customising Media Player

Adding Media Files to Your Favourites Menu List

Organising Your Favourite Media Files

Playing a Favourite Media File

The View Menu Options Property Sheets

Shortcut Keys

Section 8: RealPlayer 8 Basic

Downloading RealPlayer Basic

Pen-picture of the RealPlayer Basic Screen

Using RealPlayer Basic

Searching for things to Listen to or Watch

The Play List

The RealPlayer Basic Favourites Folder

RealPlayer Help

RealPlayer Basic Shortcut Keystrokes

Section 9: What are MP3 Files and Where can they be
Downloaded
from?

What is MP3?

Where to Look for MP3 Music and Other Audio Files

Sources of Legitimate MP3 Listening and Downloading

Commercial MP3 Download Sites

MP3 Specific Web Search Engines

The Napster Site

The Ask MP3 Link Portal

Section 10: Winamp Version 2.7

Downloading Winamp from the Internet

Installing Winamp

Playing a single MP3 File

Playing all of the MP3 Tracks in a Folder

Playing Standard HI-FI CD Audio Disks

Playing Non-Consecutive Tracks

Playing MP3 Tracks from the Internet

Making Personal Tone Changes in the Winamp Graphic Equalizer

Making Preset Tone Changes in the Winamp Graphic Equalizer

The PlayList Editor

The Winamp Menu Structure

Obtaining Attribute Details of a Sound File

Winamp Preferences

The Winamp Context Menu

Sending an MP3 File as an E-Mail Attachment

Using Winamp Plugins

Winamp Shortcut Keys

Section 11: Quick and Easy Method of Playing MP3s

Section 12: Using Stand-Alone Encoders to Create MP3 and
other
File Formats from Digital Compact Disks

What is an Encoder?

Why Use a Stand-Alone Encoder?

The FREERIP.MP3 Freeware Encoder

Downloading FREERIP.MP3

Installing FREERIP.MP3

Launching and Configuring FREERIP.MP3

How to Copy Tracks

FREERIP.MP3 Menus

How to Convert 16-Bit WAV Files to MP3 or OGG Vorbis Formats

The FREERIP.MP3 Help System

Section 13: The MP3 File Context Menu

Quick Commands

Changing the Associated Program for Playing MP3s

MP3 File Properties

Section 14: Adaptec Easy CD copier

Installation

Types of Disks CD Copier can Clone

Copying Directly from One CD Drive to Another

Copying via the Hard Disk

CD Copier Shortcut Keys

Section 15: Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4 (Standard)

Installing Easy CD Creator

Pen-Picture of the Easy CD Creator Screen

What can I do with Easy CD Creator?

Launching Easy CD Creator

Creating an Audio Music CD from Your CD-ROM Drive

Obtaining CD Title and Track Titles from CDDB Online

Creating an Audio CD When You Only have One CD Drive

Playing a music CD with Easy CD Creator

Converting an Audio Music CD Track into a Windows WAV or MP3
File

Creating a Data CD from Files on Your Hard Disk Drive

 Creating a Data CD When You Only Have One CD Drive

Creating a Mixed-Mode Cd

Creating a CD Extra CD

How to Add More Data to a Partly Used Data CD

Deleting the Contents of a CD

Saving a Layout

Opening a Saved Layout

Testing that Your Computer is Running Optimally for CD
Copying

Other Main Menu Features of Interest

Easy CD Creator Shortcut Keys

Upgrading to Easy CD Creator Platinum

Section 16: Adaptec Direct CD CD Disk formatter Version 2.5D

What does the Direct CD Wizard Do?

Uses for Formatted Direct CD Disks

Launching Direct CD and Formatting a CD

How to Copy to a Formatted Data Compact Disk

Deleting Files from a Data CD

Section 17: Windows Sound Recorder with JFW

JFW Special Shortcut Commands

Capabilities and Limitations of the Sound Recorder

Audio Properties, Quality and Volume Changes

Recording a Sound File

Opening and Playing a Saved Sound File

Editing and Effects

Changing the Quality of a Recording

Joining Sound Files together

Merging Sound Files

Inserting One Sound File into Another

Section 18: Sound forge XP

Introduction

Versions of Sound Forge and Where to Buy Them

The Sound Forge Data Window

How to Start Recording

Saving a Sound File

Opening a Sound File

Checking Your Position in a Sound File

Editing a Whole Sound File

Editing Part of a Sound File

Example of Editing Using the Square Brackets

Example of Editing Using the Shift Key

Sound Forge Direct Mode

Inserting Place Markers for Quick Re-Location in a Playing
File

Inserting Place-Finding Markers in a File as You Record it

The Markers List

Normalising the Recording Level of a Sound File

Working in More than One Editing Window at a Time

Mixing One Sound with Another

Changing the Volume of a Sound file

Fading a File in or Out

Cross-Fading One Sound File with Another

Inserting a Segment of Silence into a File

Increasing or Decreasing the Length of a File without
Changing
its Pitch

Sound Synthesis

The GoTo Feature

Observing Sound File Properties

Examples of Some of Sound Forge's Other Features

Combining Sound Forge XP with Other Sound Recorders

Sound Forge Shortcut Keys

Appendix 1: List of Shortcut Keys for All Software Covered

Appendix 2: Glossary of Computer Terms

Appendix 3: Other Tutorials by this Author

                           ********