BLIND-DEV Archives

Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI

BLIND-DEV@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rev Clyde Shideler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BLIND-DEV: Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 02:44:57 -0500

> [...]
>horrific and shameful episodes in the state's history."  We need to thank
>the Governor for the apology, but we also need to remind him and the
>Legislature that an apology isn't enough if they plan to tear down the
>support system we need to live a good life.  They need to quite literally
>put the state's money where its mouth is by rejecting draconian cuts to
>programs like Medi-Cal and IHSS and by actively protecting the civil rights
>of all people with disabilities.
>
>--Laura
>
>============ GOVERNOR'S APOLOGY ============
>
>  PR03:075
>FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
>03/11/2003
>
>GOVERNOR DAVIS MAKES STATEMENT ON EUGENICS 3/11/2003
>
>SACRAMENTO
>
>Governor Gray Davis today issued the following statement regarding the
>issue of forced sterilization in California - the idea that people could
>breed a better human race by removing "substandard" humans from the gene
pool:

>"To the victims and their families of this past injustice, the people of
>California are deeply sorry for the suffering you endured over the years.
>Our hearts are heavy for the pain caused by eugenics. It was a sad and
>regrettable chapter in the state's history, and it is one that must never
>be repeated again."
>
>California enacted a eugenics law in 1909, resulting in the involuntary
>sterilization of approximately 19,000 "undesirable" Californians.
>
>|============================================================|
>|  0    People with disabilities: A resource to recognize,   |
>|  |_              *not* a problem to solve!                 |
>| ( \_)    =========================================         |
>|  ***             Copyright 1999-2003                       |
>|                by Laura Remson Mitchell                    |
>|                (e-mail: [log in to unmask])                    |
>|                                                            |
>| Visit my award-winning personal web site, LRM's Place, at: |
>|                                                            |
>|   < http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Lobby/7853 >      |
>|     shortcut: < http://www.geocities.com/dhcpolwnk >       |
>|                                                            |
>|               [Last updated Aug. 20, 2002.]                |
>| Now includes Search Engine and News Page (updated daily)!  |
>|                       ********                             |
>|       Listen to .mp3 versions of my original music at:     |
>|        < http://www.MP3.com.au/LauraRemsonMitchell >       |
>|          (Latest .mp3 song released Jan. 12, 2003)         |
>

>The [log in to unmask] is a one-way list to keep members abreast of
activities of the California Disability Alliance.
>-----
>The work of the California Disability Alliance has been supported in part
by grants from the Disability Rights Advocates Fund of the San Francisco
Foundation and the Milbank Foundation for Rehabilitation