BLIND-DEV Archives

Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI

BLIND-DEV@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rev Clyde Shideler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BLIND-DEV: Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 21:23:20 -0500
Hello all,

Judge Papas in San Diego today accepted the NFLs offer.  The NFL will post
a $100,000 bond that "no disabled ticket holder to the game, will be
discriminated against".  This still ignores the issue that many PWD are
unable to purchase tichets because it REQUIRES PRINT APPLICATIONS and
similar discriminatory practices.  It also does not include those many PWD
who do not have tickets because there is no accomadation so that they can
go.

The NFL has the "cart in front of the horse".  Many PWD are not going to
spend hubdreds of dollars to get into someplace that is not accessible.  Of
course, the NFLs argument is an old one and is very effective in avoiding
making things accessible.  We have been hearing the same from businesses
here FOR YEARS.  "I have never had a disabled customer, if they came to my
store, I would be happy to be sure they have access".  Or my other
favorite, "Well they never even got out of their Van or tried to come into
my store".  Hard to try when there is no proper handicapped parking, to say
nothing of the stairs, no accessible sign or an entrance that does does not
meet requirements.  The ADA clearly states, as does State laws, PWD need no
subject themselves to the humiliation of "TRYING" inorder to qualify in court.

BTW  Pepsi Cola will be adveristing their Pepsi "Twist" on Super Bowl ads.
We can start our letters and calls to Pepsi.  BOYCOTT PEPSI

Pete

"Believe in yourself.  You gain strength, courage, and confidence by ever
experience in which you stop to look FEAR in the face.  You MUST DO that
which you think you can not do"  Eleanor Roosevelt

 WE CAN DO IT, "TOGETHER".