BLIND-DEV Archives

Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI

BLIND-DEV@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Prof Norm Coombs <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BLIND-DEV: Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 09:25:42 -0500
My answers are below:

At 09:48 PM 2/1/99 +0800, you wrote:
>Dear Sir / Madam,
>
>I am a student studying for  a computer course in Singapore. I am now in
>my final year and currently doing  a project on Accessibility  of the
>WWW for the visually impaired people and blind people. I have prepared a
>list of questions for you to answer which I have included in this email.
>
>I would really appreciate if you could also forward the email to any
>visually impaired people who are currently accessing the internet.
>
>I have for the past months sending out the questionnaire to many
>organisations all over the globe but receiving poor response. I running
>short of time now . I sincerely hope that you can help me.
>
>Many thanks in advance.
>
>Best regards
>Choo Chee San
>
>My email address is [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]
>Questionnaire
>
>Objective
>The aim of this exercise is study   the accessibility  of  World Wide  Web
>for disabled people
>focusing on the these group of people;
>-    the blind
>-    the visually impaired
>-    the deaf
>
>The most important aspect of this survey is to understand the current
>issues and problems  faced by these this people  when accessing   the Web.
>
>The survey is separated into 2 parts; the first part focuses on  collecting
>general information about you and purpose accessing the Web. This is
>followed by the next section which go more in-depth
>to identify  problems, issues and concerns regarding the accessing of the
Web.

>Interviewee Particular
>
>What is your Name

Norman Coombs, Ph.D.

>What is your age

66

>What is your occupation

Professor of history
also chair of EASI Equal Access to Software and Information

>What is your Sex

Male

>Section A.     General Information
>
>1.  What do understand by the term "Internet", "Web"  and   "World Wide Web"?

internet is network of digital networks around the world carrying digital data
WWW is the system that permits easy exchange of public information that is
linked and uses various browsers as the interface not requiring the user to
understand tcpip or such protocols.

>2. How often do you  access information on the Web?

dozens of times every day

>3. What is your purpose of accessing the Web?

professional for my work with EASI and also for my work as professor
sometimes for pleasure

>4. What tools do you used to  access the  Web ? Please specify the brand
>and model ?

explorer usually 4 sometimes 3 and I use a screen reader software to speak
what is on the screen.  I use jaws 3.2

>5. How useful is the current World Wide Web to you?

It lets me access material that I could not use before.  Previously such
information was in 'print' and I am blind.  Now, being digitized my
computer can translate the data in spoken output

>Section B.     Issues / Problems
>
>1. Please name some  Web sites  you have visited most often.

Yahoo broadcast.com audio.com
also many sites specific to history
also sites specific to users with disabilities http://www.rit.edu/~easi

>2. Give the name of any web site you have visited which you find easy to
>access.  Why is it so?

Any site that uses the alt-text tags and which avoids frames

>3. Give the name of any web sites that you have visited which you found it
>difficult to access.  Why is it so ?

ibm.net because my screen reader cannot make sense of the frames
also ( do not remember the name of site) any site that is too lazy to use
alt-text tags and especially when it uses graphics as an icon for a link.
the screen reader just says:
link
link
link
link
but I have no way of knowing what it links to and it can be frustrating
going to link after link just to find out basic info

>4. What are the most common problem(s) you faced. Please provide examples.

Gave examples above

>5. Some Web page, provide forms to enable you to fill in data, Do you have
>any problems accessiing this forms?

Yes. . but the newer screen reader like jaws provide extra information
which usually helps

>6. Some Web pages contains video clips which is not accessible to the you.
>Does these sites provide alternate means to represent the data ?

The video is accessable to the blind provided that much of the content is
carried in the sound track of the video .. . people talking.  But, if
important content is purely visual and there is no description, then, it is
a problem.  video is usually MORE of a problem to deaf

>7. Please comment on effectiveness of  the tools you use to access the Web ?

The problem is not so much the tool I use to access the web as it is in the
way the site has used html . html has features built into it that make it
very friendly most of the time if the webmaster bothers to use them.
Frames and forms are inherent problems, but the new jaws is a help and so
is the browser, WebSpeak.

>8. What is your general comment on the accessibility of the current World
>Wide Web?

Fabulous and horrible depending on he web site.  It let's me access 'print'
materials I could never access before.  I can read newspapers and books by
myself.  Some interface pages are needlessly difficult to navigate and that
is frustrating because it is someone's stupidity and not necessary!

>9. What do you think should be done to made Web more  accessible  to you?

I think the answers are inherent in my comments above