BLIND-DEV Archives

Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI

BLIND-DEV@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Prof Norm Coombs <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BLIND-DEV: Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 07:23:34 -0800
EASI's All-day Track on Distance Learning at CSUN 2003
California State University Conference on Technology and Persons with
Disabilities, Los Angeles, March 19-22
        EASI track is Thur. March 20.

Accessible E-learning: Policy and Practice
<http://www.csun.edu/cod/conf/2003/proceedings/139.htm>
The National Center for Accessible E-learning, and EASI-sponsored
coalition, serves as a clearing house for state-of-the-art information
about e-learning legislation, policy and best practices:
p://easi-elearn.org
Richard Banks, EASI: Equal Access To Softwr & Info; Joseph Lazzaro, Mass.
Commission for the Blind; Steve Noble, Kentucky Assistive Tech Services
Network
8:00 AM         Thursday        Scottsdale - Marriott   Length :60 mins 3/20/03

ICDRI Update On Global Accessible Web Policy andLaw
<http://www.csun.edu/cod/conf/2003/proceedings/136.htm>
This presentation provides an update on accessible web policy and law
adopted by countries around the world. Disability discrimination complaints
will be discussed as well as the current US Section 508 activity
surrounding Electronic and Information Technology Accessibility Standards.
                        Cynthia Waddell, International Center for Disability Resources On The
Internet ; Rianne Ten Veen, International Center for Disability Resources
On The Internet
9:20 AM         Thursday        Scottsdale - Marriott   Length :60 mins 3/20/03

Developing Policy for Making Distance Learning Programs Accessible to
Everyone <http://www.csun.edu/cod/conf/2003/proceedings/137.htm>                                Discuss
policy, implementation, and training and support issues to be addressed by
distance learning programs in order to assure that courses are accessible
to participants with disabilities.
Sheryl Burgstahler, University of Washington
10:40 AM        Thursday        Scottsdale - Marriott   Length :60 mins 3/20/03

Enhancing Distance Learning With Online Interactive Voice Conferencing
<http://www.csun.edu/cod/conf/2003/proceedings/134.htm>                         This
presentation is a live online voice chat connecting the conference with
distance learners demonstrating document sharing and the software
accessibility of Talking Classrooms.
George Buys, Talking Classrooms; Elizabeth Coombs, EASI: Equal Access To
Softwr & Info; Norman Coombs, EASI: Equal Access To Softwr & Info
2:00 PM Thursday        Scottsdale - Marriott   Length :60 mins 3/20/03

Making Online Learning Accessible: Update On Activities of the IMS
Accessibility Working Group
<http://www.csun.edu/cod/conf/2003/proceedings/138.htm>
NCAM and the IMS Global Learning Consortium present progress toward
accessible distance learning systems and specifications, including sample
implementations and their benefits for users.
Cathleen Barstow, CPB/WGBH National Ctr for Access Media
3:20 PM         Thursday        Scottsdale - Marriott   Length :30 mins 3/20/03

Summary and Demonstration of the Access to PIVoT Project
<http://www.csun.edu/cod/conf/2003/proceedings/135.htm>
NCAM's Access to PIVoT Project, completed in 2002, studied methods for
making an on-line physics curriculum accessible to deaf and blind students.
Come for a demonstration of the project's Web and multimedia solutions and
guidelines.
Andrew Kirkpatrick, WGBH/NCAM
4:10 PM         Thursday        Scottsdale - Marriott   Length :60 mins 3/20/03

EASI Reception: Mexican Buffet:
Thursday, March 20, 7-9 pm Atlanta Room LAX Marriott, Los Angeles.
EASI warmly invites its friends to join us again this year for a Mexican
buffet.  Come and reunion with old friends, make new friends and let the
EASI team greet you!

EASI depends on its friends to make its discussion lists, EASI and AXSLIB-L
worthwhile resources about the most current information about accessible
information technology and education.  We want to use this opportunity to
thank every one of you and to encourage new folk to join our family.

We want to thank those of you who have provided articles for the
Information Technology and Disabilities e-journal.  We need your help in
finding new articles and in locating new interviewees for our EASI webcasts.

We also eagerly look forward to meeting some of the students who have taken
our online students and especially those enrolled in the Certificate in
Accessible Information Technology.

Invite your friends to come to the fiesta and invited them to join EASI's
activities and to register for our online courses.

EASI has 3 online courses starting April 7:
Beginner Barrier-free "Web Design
Advanced Barrier-free "Web Design
Train the trainer
Information on these courses is at http://easi.cc/workshop.htm.  There are
3 courses beginning April 7:

** Note that the Beginner Barrier-free Web Design course will include new
content giving concrete demonstrations on how to produce accessible Web
pages using WYSIWYG authoring tools like Dreamweaver, FrontPage and
Netscape Composer.

                Norman Coombs, Ph.D.
CEO EASI (Equal Access to Software and Information)
http://www.rit.edu/~easi
                http://easi-elearn.org