BLIND-DEV Archives

Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI

BLIND-DEV@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rev Clyde Shideler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BLIND-DEV: Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 May 2002 18:43:23 -0500

>If you received this message via a friend or a listserv and would like to
learn about closed captioned and described films directly from the Media
Access Group at WGBH, please subscribe at
<http://ncam.wgbh.org/mailinglist.html>

>MOTION PICTURE ACCESS (MoPix) NEWS
>Week of May 3 to 9
>
>SPIDER-MAN HITS THEATERS THIS WEEKEND
>
>This much-anticipated film from Sony Pictures, which marks the official
start of the summer blockbuster season, debuts this week with closed
captions and descriptions in select auditoriums equipped with Rear Window
Captioning and DVS Theatrical.  See theaters and showtimes below.

>INSTALLATION UPDATE
>
>Famous Players installed RWC and DVST systems in five theaters in Ontario
last November. Due to the great response to the systems from Toronto-area
patrons and requests by movie fans with disabilities in other Canadian
cities, Famous Players this week debuts the systems in 15 additional
theaters. Twenty installations now span four Canadian provinces-- Alberta,
British Columbia, Manitoba and Ontario. And there's more good news-- Famous
Players will eventually install a total of 50 installations throughout
Canada, many of which will be portable, so the systems can be moved within
a theater complex to ensure greater availability of captioned and described
films to eager movie fans.  See the list of cities and theaters, all of
which debut SPIDER-MAN this week, below under Canada. Big, big thanks to
the folks at Famous Players!
><http://www.famousplayers.com/Static/AV_Enhancements.asp> links to the
Famous Players Web site, which gives theaters currently equipped as well as
available films and showtimes.

>National Amusements, headquartered outside of Boston and a neighbor of
WGBH, has installed their first Rear Window Captioning and DVS Theatrical
installation.  National Amusements The Bridge: cinema de lux in Los Angeles
debuts their MoPix system Friday, May 3 with SPIDER-MAN.  While the
installation is in their IMAX theater, occasionally first-run 35mm films
will play in there as well, as is the case with SPIDER-MAN.  Note showtimes
below.  Next week, The Bridge debuts ESPN'S ULTIMATE X: THE MOVIE from
Buena Vista Pictures, becoming the only IMAX theater in the country to play
this large format film with captions and descriptions.  Another National
Amusements installation, this one in Revere, MA is scheduled for completion
in the next few weeks.  Welcome National Amusements!

>And there's another IMAX theater installation to report.  The Virgnia
Marine Science Museum's IMAX Theatre in Virginia Beach will have a MoPix
installation within the next several weeks.  BEAUTY AND THE BEAST will also
play there, as well as other captioned and described IMAX films such as
SPACESTATION 3D, SHACKLETON'S ANTARCTIC ADVENTURE and JOURNEY INTO AMAZING
CAVES.

>SEND A NOTE
>
>Take a moment to share your thoughts about enjoying access to first-run
feature films. When you send us a message, it is passed along to theater
chains and to movie studios, providing encouragement for them to increase
access to films in the future.

>OUR NUMBER ONE QUESTION
>
>What can I do to get closed captioned and described films closer to my
home? We've assembled a list of headquarters of major theater chains-- let
them know you're eager to see accessible films, eat their popcorn and be a
regular customer. The link to the list of chains is
<http://ncam.wgbh.org/mopix/chains.html>

>DESCRIPTION IN YOUR LIVING ROOM
>
>Commercial broadcast and cable networks have begun airing description on
selected programs.  FOX was first out of the gate with five series-- THE
BERNIE MAC SHOW, BOSTON PUBLIC, MAGIC SCHOOL BUS, MALCOLM IN THE MIDDLE and
THE SIMPSONS.  CBS is airing BLUE'S CLUES, selected movies, miniseries and
specials and two series, CSI: CRIME SCENE INVESTIGATION and JAG (both will
begin airing with description in late May). For more information about
description on television, home videos and DVDs or on the Web, visit
<http://access.wgbh.org>, e-mail the Media Access Group at WGBH at
[log in to unmask] or call the toll free DVS Information Line at 800 333-1203.

>NOW PLAYING
>
>Currently available with closed captions using the Rear Window Captioning
system, and audio descriptions utilizing the DVS Theatrical System:

>SPIDER-MAN, starring Tobey Maguire and Kristen Dunst, from Sony Pictures
(rated PG-13)

>MURDER BY NUMBERS, starring Sandra Bullock, from Warner Bros. Pictures
>(rated R)
>
>PANIC ROOM, starring Jodie Foster, from Sony Pictures
>(rated R)
>
>E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL: THE 20TH ANNIVERSARY, starring E.T., from
Universal Pictures
>(rated PG)
>
>BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (reissue) from Buena Vista Pictures at Tampa's Museum
of Science and Industry IMAX Dome Theater, AND coming soon to the new MoPix
installation and the Virginia Marine Science Museum's IMAX Theater in
Virginia Beach (see details below)
>(rated G)
>
>Information about theaters equipped with the closed captioning and audio
description systems, debut dates, showtimes and directions to the theaters
appear below.

>COMING SOON
>
>Dates subject to change by the studios. Additional titles to be announced
as soon as they are confirmed.

>* ULTIMATE X, a large format film about extreme games from Buena Vista
Pictures (cc and descriptions), will debut in the IMAX theater at National
Amusements The Bridge, Los Angeles on May 10

>* INSOMNIA, starring Al Pacino, from Warner Bros. Pictures (CC and
descriptions), scheduled for a May 24 debut

>* SPIRIT: STALLION OF THE CIMARRON from DreamWorks Pictures (CC only)
scheduled for a May 24 debut

>* BAD COMPANY, starring Anthony Hopkins and Chris Rock, from Buena Vista
Pictures (CC only) scheduled for a June 7 release

>* DIVINE SECRETS OF THE YA-YA SISTERHOOD, from Warner Bros. Pictures (CC
and descriptions), scheduled for a June 7 release

> More films...
>
>* SCOOBY-DOO from Warner Bros. Pictures (CC and descriptions) scheduled
for a June 14 debut
>* LILO & STITCH from Buena Vista Pictures (CC and descriptions) scheduled
for a June 21 debut
>* MEN IN BLACK II, starring Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones, from Sony
Pictures (CC and descriptions), scheduled for a July 5 debut
>* ROAD TO PERDITION, starring Tom Hanks, from DreamWorks Pictures (CC with
descriptions to be determined) scheduled for a July 12 debut
>* STUART LITTLE 2 from Sony Pictures (CC and descriptions) scheduled for a
July 19 debut
>* SIGNS, starring Mel Gibson, from Buena Vista Pictures (CC with
descriptions to be determined) scheduled for a August 2 debut
>* THE TUXEDO from DreamWorks Pictures (CC only) scheduled for an October 4
release
>* THE RING from DreamWorks Pictures (CC only) scheduled for an October 18
release

>IMAX FILMS
>Find a complete list of described and or closed captioned large format
films, as well as locations of accessible theaters, at
<http://ncam.wgbh.org/mopix/nowshowing.html>.

> [...]
beginning Fri. May 10.

>BOSTON
>1.  AMC Fenway Theatre, 617 424-6111 (voice)
>(No film this week.)
>
>2.  AMC Framingham 16, 508 875-6151 (voice)
>(No film this week.)
>
>3. Coming soon! National Amusements Showcase Cinema Revere
>(May installation expected)
>565 Squire Road
>Revere
>
>CHICAGO (Lombard)
>1.  AMC Yorktown, 630 495-0012 (voice)
>SPIDER-MAN
>Fri. May 3 to Thurs. May 9  11:30 AM  2:30  5:30  8:30 PM (+11:30 Fri/Sat
nights)

>2.  AMC City North, 773 394-1600 (voice)
>E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL
>Fri. May 3 to Thurs. May 9  1:45  4:30  7:20  10:00 PM
>

>Los Angeles
>1.  AMC Sherman Oaks, 818 986-3078 (voice)
>MURDER BY NUMBERS
>Fri. May 3 to Thurs. May 9  1:45  4:30  7:15  10:00 PM
>
>2.  Loews Cineplex/Universal City Cinemas at CityWalk
>Theater 5
>100 Universal City Plaza
>Universal City  818 508-0711 (voice)
>SPIDER-MAN
>Fri. May 3 to Thurs. May 9  10:30 AM  1:30  4:30  7:30  10:40
>
>4. National Amusements The Bridge: cinema de lux (new chain, new location!)
>6081 Center Drive
>Los Angeles  310 568-9950 (voice)
>SPIDER-MAN
>Fri. May 3 to Thurs. May 9  9:15 PM  (+12:00 AM Fri/Sat nights)
>
>5. & 6.-- Coming Soon
>Two equipped auditoriums at the new Mann's Chinese 6 cinema complex.
>

>MILWAUKEE area
>AMC Mayfair Mall, 414 777-0467 (voice)
>SPIDER-MAN
>Fri. May 3 to Thurs. May 9  12:15  3:15  6:15  9:15 PM
>

>NEW ORLEANS
>1. AMC Palace 20 - Elmwood, Theater #1
>1200 Elmwood Park Blvd.
>Harahan  504 733-2029
>SPIDER-MAN
>Fri. May 3 to Thurs. May 9  1:00  4:00  7:00  10:00 (+12:50 AM Fri/Sat
nights)

>2. AMC Palace 12 - Clearview
>Theater #1
>4436 Veterans Blvd.
>Metairie, LA  504 887-1257
>(No film this week.)
>

>NEW YORK CITY/NJ AREA
>
>1.  AMC Bay Plaza (Bronx), 718 320-1659 (voice)
>(No film this week.)
>
>2.  AMC Clifton Commons, Clifton, NJ, 973 614-0966 (voice)
>MURDER BY NUMBERS
>Fri. May 3 to Thurs. May 9  1:10  4:10  7:10  9:50 PM
>

>PHILADELPHIA area
>AMC Plymouth Meeting, 610 397-0780 (voice)
>PANIC ROOM
>Fri. May 3 to Thurs. May 9  1:30  4:30  7:05  9:40
>

>SAN FRANCISCO
>
>Loews Theatre at Metreon (SPIDER-MAN plays all week in equipped auditorium!)
>Theater #13
>101 Fourth Street
>San Francisco
>SPIDER-MAN will play in the equipped theater (#13) from Fri. May 3 to
Thurs. May 9.  Call the Guest Services Phone Line: 415 369-6201 (voice) to
learn daily showtimes with closed captions and descriptions.

>Metreon is located at the corner of Fourth and Mission streets in the
heart of San Francisco, next to Yerba Buena Gardens, Moscone Center, Zeum,
and just blocks from Union Square and the cable car lines.

>SEATTLE
>
>1. AMC Pacific Place, 206 652-8908 (voice)
>MURDER BY NUMBERS
>Fri. May 3 to Thurs. May 9  1:30  4:10  7:00  9:45 PM
>
>2. Cinerama
>2100 4th Avenue
>Seattle 206 441-3653 (voice)
>E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL
>Fri. May 3 to Thurs. May 9  1:30  4:15  7:00  9:45 PM
>

>SPRINGFIELD, VA/D.C. Area
>
>AMC Springfield Mall, 703 971-4203 (voice)
>(No film this week.)
>

>TAMPA
>IMAX Dome Theater, Museum of Science and Industry (MOSI)
>4801 E. Fowler Avenue
>Tampa, FL 30617-2099
>813 987-6300
>BEAUTY AND THE BEAST from Buena Vista Pictures
>Mondays and Tuesdays  10:30 AM  1:15  4:00  5:45  7:30 PM
>Wednesdays thru Sundays  10:30 AM  1:15  4:00  5:45  7:30  9:15 PM
>

>VIRGINIA BEACH, VA
>Coming Soon!
>Virginia Marine Science Museum IMAX Theater
>717 General booth Blvd.
>Virginia Beach  757 437-4949
>BEAUTY AND THE BEAST will play at this new MoPix installation. Stay tuned
for information on the debut of the access systems and showtimes.

> [...]
>Winnipeg
>SPIDER-MAN
>Fri. May 3 to Thurs. May 9  1:30  4:40  8:00  11:00 PM
>
>Ontario
>
>SilverCity Ancaster (new location!)
>771 Golf Links Road
>Ancaster
>SPIDER-MAN
>Fri. May 3 to Thurs. May 9  12:30  3:40  7:00  10:00
>
>Famous Players 8 (new location!)
>160 Bell Boulevard
>Belleville
>SPIDER-MAN
>Fri. May 3 to Fri. May 9  12:30  3:40  7:00  10:00 PM
>
>SilverCity Gloucester (new location!)
>2385 City Park Drive
>Gloucester
>SPIDER-MAN
>Fri. May 3 to Thurs. May 9  12:30  3:40  7:00  10:00 PM
>
>SilverCity London
>1680 Richmond Street
>London
>SPIDER-MAN
>Fri. May 3 to Thurs. May 9  1:00  4:10  7:30  10:30 PM
>
>Coliseum Mississauga
>309 Rathburn Road West
>Mississauga
>SPIDER-MAN
>Fri. May 3 to Thurs. May 9  11:30 AM  2:40  6:00  9:00 (+ 12:00 AM Fri/Sat
night)

>Coliseum Ottawa
>3090 Carling Avenue
>Ottawa
>SPIDER-MAN
>Fri. May 3 to Thurs. May 9  12:30  3:40  7:00  10:00 PM
>
>SilverCity Richmond Hill
>8725 Yonge Street
>Richmond Hill
>SPIDER-MAN
>Fri. May 3 to Thurs. May 9  1:00  4:10  7:30  10:30 PM
>
>Coliseum Scarborough
>300 Borough Drive
>Scarborough
>SPIDER-MAN
>Fri. May 3 to Thurs. May 9  12:30  3:40  7:00  10:00 PM (+ 12:45 AM Fri/Sat)
>
>SilverCity Sudbury (new location!)
>355 Barrydowne Road
>Sudbury
>SPIDER-MAN
>Fri. May 3 to Thurs. May 9  12:30  3:40  7:00  10:00 PM
>
>Paramont Toronto (new location!)
>259 Richmond Street West
>Toronto
>SPIDER-MAN
>Fri. May 3 to Thurs. May 9  12:30  3:30  6:40  9:50 PM
>
>SilverCity Yonge & Eglinton (2 auditoriums equipped)
>2300 Yonge Street
>Toronto, Ontario
>SPIDER-MAN
>Auditorium #6:  Fri-Tues, Thurs.  12:30  3:40  7:00  10:00 PM
>Wed. 12:30  3:40  10:00 PM
>Auditorium #8:  Fri. to Thurs. 12:00  3:10  6:30  9:30 PM
>
>SilverCity Windsor (new location!)
>4611 Walker Road
>Windsor
>SPIDER-MAN
>Fri. May 3 to Thurs. May 9  12:30  3:40  7:00  10:00 PM
>
>- -
>CREDITS
>
>Closed captioning and description of all films provided by the Media
Access Group at WGBH, a nonprofit division of Boston public broadcaster
WGBH.  The Rear Window Captioning and DVS Theatrical systems were developed
by WGBH to make feature films accessible the date films open in theaters
nationwide-- and during regular showtimes-- to movie fans who are deaf,
hard-of-hearing, blind or visually impaired.

>For more information on the WGBH's Motion Picture Access (MoPix) efforts,
including how to encourage a theater in your area to install the access
systems, please visit <www.mopix.org>, e-mail [log in to unmask] or call 617
300-3400 v, 617 300-2489 TTY.

>Thanks to AMC, Famous Players, Loews, Mann's, and National Amusements
Theatres, IMAX and OMNIMAX theatres, Disney themeparks, the Hollywood
studios and to all the movie fans out there.