AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Prof Norm Coombs <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
EASI's Library Accessibility Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Dec 2011 22:28:24 -0800
> [...]
>people living with disabilities enjoy full equality and unhindered
>participation in all facets of our national life. We recognize the myriad
>contributions that persons with disabilities make at home and abroad, and
>we remember that disability rights are universal rights to be recognized
>and promoted around the world.
>
>For decades, America has been a global leader in advancing the rights of
>people with disabilities. From the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990
>to the Twenty-First Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act,
>which I signed last year, we have striven to bring the American dream and
>comprehensive opportunities in education, health care, and employment
>within reach for every individual. These actions --made possible only
>through the tireless and ongoing efforts of the disability community --
>affirm our commitment to an equitable and just society where every
>American can play a part in securing a prosperous future for our Nation.
>
>To fulfill this promise not only in America, but around the world, my
>Administration is putting disability rights at the heart of our Nation's
>foreign policy. With leadership from the Department of State and the
>United States Agency for International Development, we are collaborating
>across governments and in close consultation with the global disability
>community to expand access to education, health care, HIV/AIDS prevention
>and treatment, and other development programs. In 2009, we signed the
>Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, which seeks to
>ensure persons with disabilities enjoy the same rights and opportunities
>as all people. If ratified, the Convention would provide a platform to
>encourage other countries to join and implement the Convention, laying a
>foundation for enhanced benefits and greater protections for the millions
>of Americans with disabilities who spend time abroad.
>
>We know from the historic struggle for disability rights in the United
>States that disability inclusion is an ongoing effort, and many challenges
>remain in securing fundamental human rights for all persons with
>disabilities around the world. On International Day of Persons with
>Disabilities, we press forward, renewing our dedication to embrace
>diversity, end discrimination, remove barriers, and uphold the rights,
>dignity, and equal opportunity of all people.
>
>NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of
>America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and
>the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim December 3, 2011, as
>International Day of Persons with Disabilities. I call on all Americans to
>observe this day with appropriate ceremonies, activities, and programs.
>IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this second day of
>December, in the year of our Lord two thousand eleven, and of the
>Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-sixth.

  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.  Christopher Reeve
Norman Coombs [log in to unmask]

Making Online Teaching Accessible: Inclusive Course Design for Students
with Disabilities by Norman Coombs published by Jossey-Bass Oct 10,2010
http://www.josseybass.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0470499044.html

Check out EASI New Synchronous Clinics:
http://easi.cc/clinic.htm
EASI Home Page http://www.rit.edu/~easi
Online courses  and Clinics http://easi.cc/workshop.htm
Check the EASI Library Web http://www.rit.edu/~easi/lib.htm

>>> Error in line 8 of AXSLIB-L.MAILTPL: unknown formatting command <<<