AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
SCLS-TB+ Julie Klauber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jul 2001 13:59:19 -0400
Ellen,

I am a great supporter of "people first" language; I use it when I write,
talk, do presentations, and, most importantly, I think it. And I deplore the
term handicapped, which, aside from its negative connotations, is totally
misused.

That said, the librarian in me thinks it that it is unrealistic for the
Library of Congress to use the term "People with Disabilities" as a subject
heading.  First of all, most library users seeking information about people
with disabilities are unlikely to think of "people..." as the first (or even
second or third) term to search.

In addition, imagine if other interest groups felt the same way. We'd have
hundreds of subject headings like "People of Color," "People of Italian
Descent," "People Who Are Women," "People Who Are Blind" (or "People with
Blindness"), and so on and so on and so on.

Our job as librarians is to make finding information easier.  As much as I
support people first language, I think its use in a catalog or similar
finding aid is not practical and will not help our patrons find information
easily.  I, too, do not like the terms "handicapped" and "disabled persons."
I don't know what the right answer is (if indeed there is one), but I
certainly think its impact on library users warrants some more
consideration.  Neither we nor the Library of Congress should jump into this
kind of change without considerable discussion among both librarians and
people with disabilities.

Julie Klauber
Suffolk Cooperative Library System / Talking Books Plus
http://www.suffolk.lib.ny.us/tbp
Disability Resources, inc.
http://www.disabilityresources.org