AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Margaret Brill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 12:24:12 -0500
I am forwarding this message on behalf of a friend at Rice, so please reply
to her directly at [log in to unmask]
Thanks,
Margaret Brill

Our library is supporting a small room, located in the Reference stacks,
containing various devices to accommodate special needs.  The library is
the only location on campus specifically identified as providing such
accommodations, and has to date absorbed related costs.  We have recently
been asked to add to this setup a Braille embosser.

We have preliminary information about initial costs, service contracts,
supplies, etc. and have at least two concerns.  We are told that the
Braille embosser is very noisy and that we may need to consider
soundproofing.  We are also told that there is a need to monitor paper feed
during the embossing process.  At this point, we are discussing both
staffing issues and responsibility for buying and servicing the equipment.
It is unclear to us how often our small number of blind students and
faculty will use the equipment, i.e. whether frequent quick use is likely,
given the complexities of the equipment.  Relatedly, we don't know whether
use could reasonably be scheduled or needs to be 24/7, as are our building
hours.

I would welcome hearing from others about any experience you may have with
Braille embossers in the library.

Melinda Reagor Flannery
Assistant University Librarian for Technical Services and Head of
     Cataloging
Fondren Library MS44
Rice University
P O Box 1892