AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Prof Norm Coombs <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
EASI's Library Accessibility Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 2010 08:17:36 -0700
Please share this information with any students who might qualify.
Norm

> [...]
>Subject: FYI: Announcement for Distribution: NASA Internship Opportunities
>  for Summer 2011
>acceptlanguage: en-US
>  definitions=2010-10-28_07:2010-10-28,2010-10-28,1970-01-01 signatures=0
>
>NASA is looking to increase the number of blind and disabled students,
>pursuing science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) careers through
>our internship programs. We have a two-percent hiring goal. Students can
>apply between November 1 and February 1. They can register for an account
>and look for internships anytime at http://intern.nasa.gov/ . Internships
>run for ten weeks from May 31, 2011,  through August 5, 2011.
>
>In order to be eligible to apply, students must be accepted as freshmen at
>an accredited institution of higher learning, i.e., a college or
>university at the time of the internship. This is what we call a rising
>freshman. NASA has internships for rising freshmen through doctoral
>students in STEM fields. A minimum GPA of 2.8 is required to apply;
>however, applicants must understand that the competition for internships
>is keen. The age limits for interns are eighteen years and up.
>
>Internships are available at all NASA centers nationwide. Students can
>submit applications where they either select or do not select an
>opportunity or opportunities. Selecting an opportunity or opportunities
>has the advantage of allowing applicants to be considered by mentors who
>work in disciplines of interest and at a particular center. For example,
>an opportunity having to do with the Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) will
>be at Goddard in Maryland because SDO is here. Not selecting any
>opportunities may result in no mentors even looking at their applications
>because they will not have flagged their applications to mentors'
>opportunities. It's important to make clear that applications can be
>viewed by all mentors whether students select opportunities or not.
>However, not selecting any opportunities means that prospective interns
>will be hoping that a mentor happens to read their applications rather
>than directing their applications to mentors in fields and at centers of
>interest.
>
>Students, who are selected for internships, will receive an offer letter
>by E-mail sometime after February 2, 2011. They will then have five days
>to either accept or reject the offer on the website. The offer will
>automatically expire after five days if no action is taken.
>
>Please feel free to contact me for more information or help with applying.
>
>Kenneth A. Silberman, Esq.
>U.S. Supreme Court, Maryland, & Patent Bars B.A., M.Eng., J.D.
>NASA Engineer & Registered Patent Attorney Education Office Code 160
>NASA/GSFC Mailstop 160 Bldg. 28 Rm. N165 Greenbelt, MD  20771, USA
>Voice:  (301) 286-9281
>Fax:  (301) 286-1655
>E-mail:  [log in to unmask]
>Office Location:                 Building 28 Room W151

  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.  Christopher Reeve
Norman Coombs [log in to unmask]

Making Online Teaching Accessible: Inclusive Course Design for Students
with Disabilities by Norman Coombs published by Jossey-Bass Oct 10,2010
http://www.josseybass.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0470499044.html

Check out EASI New Synchronous Clinics:
http://easi.cc/clinic.htm
EASI Home Page http://www.rit.edu/~easi
Online courses  and Clinics http://easi.cc/workshop.htm
Check the EASI Library Web http://www.rit.edu/~easi/lib.htm

>>> Error in line 8 of AXSLIB-L.MAILTPL: unknown formatting command <<<