AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sarah Hamrick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 14:37:03 -0500
Karen Russ asked about publications and web sites that deal with BI and
students with disabilities as well as great ideas employed by
libraries.  I'm at Gallaudet University and we've found very little
information in the literature about instruction for students with
disabilities.  I think that sounds like a great topic for the ALAD
Discussion Group.  (Academic Librarians Assisting the Disabled.)

Gallaudet is a little unusual in that most of our students are deaf or
hard of hearing, so in our setting deafness is not considered a
disability.  That said, we've found that our most productive instruction
for students involves at least some one-on-one time with a librarian.
That is true both for our disabled students (mostly, in our case,
students with visual disabilities and learning disabilities in addition
to some level of hearing disability) and for our deaf students.
Although it is obviously very staff intensive, it is the only way we've
had any success.

Good luck with your work, and please keep all of us on the list informed
about your progress!

Sarah
--
Sarah E. Hamrick