AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Prof Norm Coombs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 21:48:56 -0800
Many on this list have been interested in getting vendors especially
database and other online services to make their systems fully accessible.
Note in the mail below that it appears that the Library of Congress may now
have to comply with Section 508.  If this is true, can we force LOC to stop
purchasing any databases and online resources that are not accessible?
Many are not sure that college libraries will fully have to comply with 508
and others think they will.  However, if the LOC has to comply, then
vendors will rush to keep LOC as a customer.  Or I would think they would.

Am I reading the document below correctly or not???
Norm Coombs

Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 14:55:11 -0500
From: [log in to unmask] (Martin Gould)
Subject: Re: GAO Report - Universal Service Report
Sender: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]

 Hello:

NCD applauds the November 19 announcement by the Congressional Office of
Compliance recommending that Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973,
which requires access to the Federal Government's electronic and
information technology, be made applicable to all offices on Capitol Hill
covered by the Congressional Accountability Act, including the Government
Printing Office (<http://www.gpo.gov>www.gpo.gov ), the General Accounting
Office (<http://www.gao.gov> www.gao.gov ), and the Library of Congress
(<http://www.loc.gov> www.loc.gov ).

NCD commends the Office of Compliance for its progress in advancing access
to electronic and information technology to 54 million Americans with
disabilities. This critical step is consistent with advice provided to
Office of Compliance staff last summer and a recommendation in NCD's June
14 report National Disability Policy: A Progress Report
(<http://www.ncd.gov/newsroom/publications/progress.html>
http://www.ncd.gov/newsroom/publications/progress.html ), which urged
Congress to take whatever steps are necessary to amend the Congressional
Accountability Act so that GPO does not remain exempt from federal
accessibility laws and regulations, including Section 508, as they pertain
to Web sites.

NCD encourages Congress to act promptly to incorporate these important
recommendations from the Office of Compliance that will advance the civil
rights of all people with disabilities.

The electronic information systems interim report from the Office of
Compliance can be found at
<http://www.compliance.gov/>http://www.compliance.gov/ .
 Therefore, between now and February 15, NCD is gathering information about
the experiences of people with disabilities in accessing Web sites at
congressional offices, the Government Printing Office, the General
Accounting Office, and the Library of Congress. Please include specific
examples of your electronic interactions with these Web sites, including
the name of the agency and its URL. Please send your comments to Section
508, National Council on Disability, 1331 F Street, NW, Suite 850,
Washington, DC, by fax to 202-272-2022, or by e-mail to
<mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] .

 Thank you for helping.

 Mark S. Quigley
 Director of Communications

Rachael Zubal wrote:

I get a message that the PDF is corrupted.

 Rachael Zubal

Rachael A. Zubal
Information Coordinator, Center on Human Policy
Syracuse University
805 South Crouse Avenue
Syracuse, NY  13244-2280
315-443-2761
E-mail:  <mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]
E-mail:  <mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]
WWW:  <http://soeweb.syr.edu/thechp/>http://soeweb.syr.edu/thechp/
ICQ #19650783

 "The art of living is more like wrestling than dancing."
--Marcus Aurelius

 "I will permit no man to narrow and degrade my soul by making me hate him."
--Booker T. Washington

<<<<

Norman Coombs, Ph.D.
Cell (949) 922-5992
Professor Emeritus, Rochester Institute of Technology
http://www.rit.edu/~nrcgsh
CEO, EASI (Equal Access to Software and Information)
        http://www.rit.edu/~easi