AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ellen Perlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 14:34:51 -0600
Dear Accessibility Advocates:

Sarah:  Well said: one of my points exactly in my previous posting.

More MOCs [Members of the Class/Choir) are needed in our Accessibility
Movement, in ALA, ASCLA (the Awesome Super Cool Library Association),
everywhere in the LIS profession: one of the major goals of the ASCLA Century
Scholarship and what the ASCLA Century Scholarship ALREADY is accomplishing.
For instance, 2001 Century Scholar Simon Healey, Dec. 01 MLS-Congratulations!
is very active in ASCLA and running for office as Chair-Elect of  an ASCLA
Forum.  .. Please help us find our 2002 Century Scholar[s]
http://www.ala.org/ascla/centuryscholarship.html. Application Deadline March 1,
2002.

But why are we causing our own "divide" - framing our advocacy as if there are
those who are MOCs and those who are not.

EVERYONE IS AN MOC!!!!   We ALL in humankind are ALL MOCs-MEMBERS OF THE CHOIR.
Everyone on this planet. The only difference is that some of us self-identify
as MOCs, and every else has yet to self-identify as an MOC.

If there is a perfect individual among us on this list - or on the planet - who
is getting younger, please tell us all how you accomplished this superhuman
feat.

If there is a perfect individual who is getting younger among us on this list,
please tell us all how you accomplished this superhuman feat.

What is so embarrassing in admitting that we as individuals ALL are less than
perfect in every way?  JOIN THE CROWD!  "They" ARE Us.  We ALL are on the same
side of the fence, the side called life, life that has traffic jams, airport
delays, missed appointments, detours, weather, accidents, illnesses, natural disasters, lifestyle choices,
war/terrorism, the AGING process. WE all use and need assistive technology and
accessibility.  EVERY LAST ONE OF US.  EVERYONE, even the Olympic marathoners
who attended ALA Midwinter, felt the distances in their feet.

Once we all admit that all of us are in the same boat (life), in the same choir
(life), that we all share the universal diversity of having to do things
differently or differability, that we all need to know how to cope and compensate, that we all
want the same thing and NEED the same thing as human beings - ACCESSIBILITY,
we WILL get that ACCESSIBILITY - by acclamation.

Yes, we all, members of the same choir, need to be singing together, in unison.

MOCs Unite!      A for ACCESSIBILITY: Positive Wins EVERY Time.

-------

Ellen Perlow, MOC
Chair, ALA ASCLA Century Scholarship Committee
The ALA ASCLA Century Scholarship Diversity Initiative
"Celebrating a New Century that Celebrates Diversity"
http://www.ala.org/ascla/centuryscholarship.html
Next Submission Deadline: March 1, 2002
See Also: ALA HRDR Page: http://www.ala.org/hrdr/scholarship.html
Texas Century Scholarship: http://www.txla.org/html/awards/scholar/century.html
Have YOU recruited/applied to be a Century Scholarship applicant today?
Manager of Information Services
School of Library and Information Studies
Texas Woman's University
P.O. Box 425438
Denton, TX 76204-5438
Tel.: 940-898-2622  Fax: 940-898-2611