From:
George & Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 14:20:32 -0500

Today I had an appointment at the gastroenterologist's office, and ran
across a new publication in the waiting room: DIGESTIVE HEALTH & NUTRITION
published by The American Gastroenterological Association, Jan/Feb. 2000
issue.  Cost $2.95.  In the top right corner of the cover is a little red
banner that reads, "Compliments of Searle Movement for Motion.  The latter
is advertised on the back cover - a program of innovative education,
research, support, and therapy for arthritis sufferers. I really don't know
what that has to do with digestion and nutrition.

Anyway, inside there was an article entitled FORBIDDEN FOODS by Libby Wiersema.

Let me digress and say that this message relates to the recent information
on the LIST about the differences between allergy, intolerance, and celiac
disease. Note that in our discussions we have listed those as three
different types of illness.  But we have had trouble pinpointing the
differences between them, and it has been dificult to find the dividing
lines.

Let me also say that when I was searching for a diagnosis, I went to an
allergy clinic in LaCrosse Wisconsin, where the head doctor had been
trained by Theron Randolph of Chicago.  He told me in writing that with an
elevated IgE antibody titer to gluten of 180% over normal control it would
indicate that I could have a true gluten allergy rather than gluten
enteropopathy - also called Ceoliac Disease.

Now let me quote from the afore mentioned article:

"Food Allergy or Intolerance?

According to the Food and Drug Administration, a mere 2 % of adults and 2
to 8 % of children are truly allergic to certain foods.  People often use
the term 'food allergy' incorrectly, to describe any discomfort they endure
after eating.  Usually they are experiencing a food intolerance, a much
more common condition.  A visit to a doctor can help clear up any
confusion." [That's what it says!!!, but that has not been my experience...]

"Patrick LaPlante, 35, suspected he might have a food allergy, though many
of his symptoms mimicked other gastrointestinal & respiratory ailments.
Sharp stomach pain, diarrhea, gas, fatique, dizziness, and sinus drainage
were some of the effects he was experiencing when he finally sought advice
from a gastroenterologist.  Initial tests suggested food allergies, which
prompted further testing with more specific results: Patrick tested
positive for soy, wheat, & tomato allergies.

"A true food allergy alerts the body that a 'foreign' substance (the
allergy-causing food or allergen) has been introduced, which in turn causes
an all-out attack on the 'invader.'  As the body wages war, the person
experiences symptoms throughout: the lips may swell and, as the food passes
to the stomach and intestines, vomiting, abdominal pain and diarrhea may
occur.  Hives, sneezing, runny nose and difficulty breathing are other
symptoms the person may also experience as a result of the body's reaction
to the food.  In severe reactions, the allergy sufferer may even go into
life threatening shock, also known as anaphylaxis.  Swelling of the throat
may ensue, causing trouble breathing, hives, a drop in blood pressure or
loss of consciousness.  Without immediate treatment, the final result could
be death.

"On the other hand, with food intolerances the problem arises from the
metabolism rather than the immune system.  Because of a chemical
deficiency, your body may not be able to adequately digest some foods (or
an ingredient/component of the offendings foods).  For example, persons
with lactose intolerance have trouble digesting lactose (the sugar in milk)
and, therefore, may have cramping and diarrhea after drinking or eating
dairy products.  (See article on Lactose Intolerance, Nov/Dec issue.)

"One exception, however is celiac disease, a type of food intolerance that
does involve the immune system.  Individuals with celiac disease, also
known as gluten intolerance, have an abnormal immune response to gluten, a
component of wheat and other brains.  Symptoms can sometimes be severe,
characterized by diarrhea, weakness, weight loss, bone disease, and
blistering, burning rashes.

"Where people with food allergies must totally avoid certain foods, those
with intolerances can sometimes eat small quantities of offending foods
without any side effects.  And, unlike allergies, intolerances gradually
worsen with age."

The article then goes on to talk about allergies to foods, the effective
use of RAST and ELISA tests, most common allergens ("soy, fish, shellfish,
nuts, and eggs are the main cluprits.")...."rice allergy is common in
Japan, while codfish allergies are rampant in Scandinavia.....  And, with
the advent of soy, it is quickly becoming one of the leading allergies in
the US, creating many dilemmas for soy allergy sufferers like Patrick
LaPlante..."

How dreadful that they even suggest that celiac disease is an intolerance
and that "those with intolerances can sometimes eat small quantities of
offending foods without any side effects."

The article ends by suggesting   www.foodallergy.org   as another resourse.

My question to the list is two fold. How can we believe what the medical
professionals tell us, when their literaturem presumeably written for the
patient sitting in the waiting room to read, says that celiac disease "is a
type of food intolerance involving the immune system" and that people "with
intolerances can sometimes eat small quantities of offending foods without
any side effects."   And, more importantly, why are they saying that celiac
disease is an "intolerance," when they have just said that an intolerance
involves the metabolic system and gluten-sensitivity involves the immune
system and is, by their definition, an allergy. The author and the
profession seem to have trouble admitting that we celiacs have a foot in
both camps.

No wonder we get bogged down with terminology on this LIST, if the
professional medical writers (and their medical advisors and editors) can't
get it straight!

The article suggests that for people with severe allergic reactions a med-
alert bracelet should be worn and the person should always have a syringe
of epinephrine at hand.  "For milder allergic reactins like stomach cramps,
hives...over the counter antihistamines such as Benadryl may also provide
some relief.

Has anyone on this LIST ever tried using an antihistamine to deal with a
gluten-reaction?  Does anyone know of any medical testing along those
lines?  It used to occur to me to give it a try, but I never had the nerve,
as I was always in a hurry to get on with overcoming the gluten reaction
symptoms  and didn't want to expriment, and I wasn't about to try something
that might not work and get sicker along the way, yet I also thought the
the flushing of the intestines with diarrhea was not unlike the
running-faucet- like runny nose that I used to have in hay fever season.

The irony of all this is that I have recently had ALLERGY treatments that
have removed my gluten sensitivity.  Does that mean that I was a celiac who
had a reaction to gluten in my immune system, indicating that the reaction
was an allergy and could have been cured with antihistamine? or does that
mean that my reaction to gluten was an intolerance and, by the definition
in this article, involved a metabolic problem?...or is there a third
category called celiac disease that is neither allergy nor intolerance, but
a combination of the two?

Is there any way we can get a professional to clear up this confusion?

Gayle Kennedy

Sorry this is so long.