From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 22:36:31 -0500
> Can anyone tell me the best way to test the life left in the batteries of
> UPS....I am 99% sure that they are bad (my server goes down with just a
> brownout) but I would like to rule out other causes before I assmume it to
> be the UPS alone.

     Well I don't know the best way, but the way I do it is pretty basic.
Leave it plugged in overnight. Then unplug it and plug in something simple,
I like using 100W light bulbs. Plug in as many as your UPS is rated for and
then time how long it goes before it dies. If it dies way before spec (like
if it is supposed to last 20 minutes at that wattage and lasts 2 minutes)
then the chances are good it is no good. Unplug the load and leave it
plugged in for 1 or two days and repeat the test. If it again lasts way to
short you can be pretty sure the batteries are shot. Of course the final
test would be to replace them, if that fixes the problem then the batteries
were gone. If the problem remains then chances are there is a problem with
your UPS (possibly in the charging circuitry). Good luck. TTYL

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html