Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 16:47:58 -0600
Let's see if I get shot down for this one.
Personally I cannot stand winmodems either.  Like most have suggested, shy
away from PCI modems, though I think that 3Com/USR makes one hardware based
PCI modem, model 2977.  Otherwise one other quick tip which will also help
but by no means is definite is to ask if it is jumperable.
Have a great day

David Abbe

> At 01:18 PM 11/16/99 -0700, Dharam wrote:
> >I am finding more and more 'winmodems' are appearing on the market.
> >
> >How can I tell if a modem is a MODEM? What features should I be looking
> >for? Or, what questions should I be asking?
> >Thanks,
> >Dharam
>
> A good start is to avoid PCI modems. An ISA modem can *usually* be counted
> on to be a hardware based modem. Be sure you have an available ISA slot if
> you buy one of these.

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org