From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 12:40:14 -0700
I don't have experience with this setup but I do have experience with FIC
boards and Win98.
My guess is that your board and 98SE2 are having problems working together
...nothing wrong with it ...you will have to go into the BIOS and throttle
it back. Turn off CPU Pipeline and Spread Spectrum Modulation. Then try a
98SE2 install. Another guess is that your board would probably work fine as
is with NT4 Workstation.

>Just purchased an Athlon 650 Mhz CPU and FIC SD-11 Mobo to upgrade my
>existing WORKING system:  128 MB Micron PC100 RAM, 48X Creative CD-ROM
>(Alone on IDE2), Matrox G400 32 MB Max AGP card, Diamond Sonic Impact S90
>Sound Card, D-Link 530TX 10/100 NIC, 18.6 GB WD UDMA/66 HD (master on IDE1)
>and 13.5 GB IBM UDMA/66 HD (Slave on IDE1) along with an Enlight Case with a
>G250 PowerSupply (On AMD's approves P/S list).  I wanted to preserve my
>existing Windows setup if possible so I attempted to remove all hardare in
>Device Manager and let Windows 98 detect the new hardware. This was a
>complete failure as Win98 would spontanteously reboot each time it tried to
>detect the new hardware, resulting in a corrupt Windows directory.  OK, I
>figured it was worth a shot, and it didn't work.  I formatted C:\ and tried
>to reinstall Windows 98 SE clean--Setup would copy all files to the HD,
>however, again when Windows Setup tried to detect and setup my hardware, it
>would reboot throughout the process.  After checking a few message boards,
>it seems the FIC board may be very sensitive to memory, so I replaced the
>Memory with an identical 128 MB Micron chip, but moved it to the 3rd bank
>(from the first).  Success (so I thought), I was able to install Win98, load
>the FIC AGP miniport Driver and the 3-1 driver supplied with the
>motherboard.  Reboot, setup my NIC, load my sound drivers etc, then I surf
>the web to see how things are working.  About 4 minutes into the session,
>reboot again.  Now, when I turn on the PC, Win98 loads to the point of my
>intro music (which plays), then reboots (no GPF, Protection errors, just a
>reboot). This makes me think I have a hardware problem...however when I boot
>into safe mode, the PC will run for hours, making me think I have a Driver
>issue.  Does anyone have experience with this board and setup and/or any
>advice on how I might continue to troublehsoot this. It's not possible for
>me to swap the CPU or MOBO with known working ones as they are new and I
>don't have old ones to use.
>
>Dan Shaughnessy

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>