From:
Yui Shin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 21:49:43 -0800
Hi, last year I retired my OEM Digital Network Imaging Support Center.
Our primary focus was to test new products in adverse conditions and
report needed changes to the OEM. Some of these products included
network printers. So without further blowing my own horn I'd like to
state the following in regards to your laser printer:

First and foremost, unless your secluded from qualified service, I
would never recommend servicing your own laser printer. By listing
what's involved in the general service aspects I'm hoping to show this
does require some technical inclination better left to a professional.
Aside from this, cleaning the transfer corona wire will correct most
image problems not caused by a worn cartridge or fuser unit.

The primary imaging component not replaced with a new cartridge is the
transfer corona or corotron. This is a long thin steel or chrome plated
bar located below your cartridge running perpendicular to the paper
path. Within this corona assembly is a 50 to 60 micron stainless steel
wire used to transfer the image from drum to paper. Some Epson laser
printers use a foam transfer roller to assist in this process. Based on
the age of your printer the corona should be replaced, or at the very
least cleaned. Alcohol and q-tip is recommended by most OEM's to clean
this.
While cleaning,it is very important to concentrate the strokes in one
direction as opposed to the back and forth method. If you break the
wire, no image transfer will take place and thus produce blank copies.

Ozone filters should also be replaced regularly to help minimize the
buildup of hydrochloric acid (yellow film). These are typically located
near a cooling or exhaust fan.

The felt fuser wand located in the upper half of the very hot fuser
unit should be replaced at the same time as the imaging cartridge.
This will help protect the teflon coated heat roller. This is normally
a user replaceable item requiring no tools.

Toner spills can be cleaned using a camel hair brush or similar in
conjunction with a vacuum which supports 0.3 micron filtration or
better.

In some cases, you may be able to access a slit glass used to shield
the sensitive optics and polygon laser motor. This glass is typically
colored red or green to enhance light filtration of the laser and may
be found in the upper half of the printer near the cartridge. A simple
wipe from a lint free cloth works fine.

In conclusion, there are many other maintenance aspects I could list,
but the point being: a professional can provide the full service within
an hour. Even though your symptom is minor, preventive maintenance has
its benefits.

-yui shin

--- Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I have an old Epson Laser Action 1000. I purchased it in 1994 but it
> has
> had light use. It is only about 25 percent through it's second
> cartridge or
> about 8000 pages. It has worked flawlessly but I have noticed some
> faded
> print especially with Bold.  I replaced the original cartridge with
> an
> expensive new Epson cartridge so my guess is the printer needs to be
> cleaned.
>
> Anybody know of any < How To > or < FAQ > on cleaning, maintaining or
> troubleshooting laser Printers ?

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>