From:
"Janus, Philip" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 15:50:12 -0500
We've been using SAG servers to meet our needs, and I'm very happy with
their service and products.

Here's my point of contact (tell him Philo sent you!)
Thomas Hogan
Account Manager
SAG Electronics
www.sagelec.com
800 989 3475 ext. 3010

Incidentally, I shopped hard for servers last November, and found with most
companies saying "server" automatically added about $5k to the price. SAG
built a great machine for $2700, which was cheaper than anything else I
found.

> Rackmounted hotswap cases with redundant 2x300watt power
> external hotswap SCSI 5.25" drive cases

When you say "external" do you really mean separate case, or are
hotswappable externally accessible canisters okay?

> CPU:  best bang for the buck on today's market with full warranty
>      on CPU.  Probably Intel 133 FSB chip...

Best bang for the buck right now looks like the PIII 550MHz chip.

> Ram: PC133 SDRAM 128mg no-ECC (one dimm module)

Only 128MB? That's very, very low for a server, especially considering the
specs I'm seeing here.

> Motherboard:  Still undecided- no onboard video, sound, etc.  must
>    support Raid SCSI controller, (raid 1 or 5)

Any PCI slot I know of will support a RAID controller. I'd recommend a BX
board over an i820, mostly because the 820's are 2 months old, while the
BX's are 2-3 years old (tried and true).

> Raid Controller: prefer single unit, PCI card to meet these three

I'll defer on RAID to people smarter than I...

> These are basic servers, price is an issue, (as always).
> Video cards are
> minimum use, network cards are Tulip chipset 10/100 (to
> support Linux).  The
> PC133 FSB is a continuing theme in our discussions.   I am
> looking for new
> ideas to bring to the specifications I am drafting for this
> project...  like everyone
> I tend to get behind on the latest and greatest, from time to time.

Which is fine, since the "latest and greatest" usually costs more than it's
worth. :)

Philo

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org