From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Oct 1999 19:27:59 -0600
"Patricia E. Clark" wrote:

> Of course it is paleo for chickens to strip seeds off the heads of
> mature grass.  It's probably paleo for people to do that, also, but
> think about what a tiny percentage of overall diet that would be for a
> human who is just wandering around looking for food.  Fat roots and
> plump mice would be much more appealing to them, I imagine!

I have chickens in a "chicken tractor" (a movable 4x8 chickenwired cage)
that I move around in the garden.  My chickens do eat seeds off the long
grasses;
they eat quite a lot of fresh greens and grass blades, dandelions, pigweed,
lambsquarters; they love cooked beets, windfall apples (a worm is a pleasant

bonus for them), pumpkin, garlic nubbins, and various kitchen scraps.
I also have chicken feed in there for them, made of corn, oats, wheat, other

non-paleo stuff.  They eat that when they run out of the "good stuff".
Next spring I'm going to build them a larger enclosure so they can roam
during
the day.  I'm sure they'll eat quite a lot bigger percentage of bugs, and a
lot less
chicken feed.

If someone is hypersensitive to grains, they'll have to either keep their
own
chickens or contract with someone to raise them specially.  Even organic
"walk-around" chickens are almost always fed grain.