From:
Betty Ann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 11:33:07 -0700
"Dr. James" wrote:

> At 10:39 AM 1/28/00 -0700, Betty Ann quoted Ray (hawkman :-) Audette:
>
> >On page 157 of the newest edition of Neanderthin,
>
> I semi-disagree with this.  Soaking will remove some of the sugar and salt,
> but I doubt it would be a significant amount.  I say this because bacon is
> very, very greasy.  I would think the fat will prevent much of the
> salt/sugar from "dissolving".
>
> Of course, that does not stop me from eating bacon.
>
> James at Penn State

It doesn't stop me from eating bacon either. I do have a source (about a
45 minute drive away) for nitrite free, honey cured bacon. The cost is
so prohibitive, I buy it only as a rare treat. I can get uncured bacon
at my local grocer...he calls it side pork. All I have to do is convince
him to slice it a little thinner.

In another place in the current edition, Ray also made a comment about
each person adapting the Neanderthin principles to his/her individual
tastes. I can't find the exact passage at the present time.

Betty Ann