From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 00:41:10 -0700
"Raymond, Charles E. x1280" wrote:

> I have a few questions for the more experienced Paleo eaters out there.

> 1.      Pemmican - I've stumbled across a recipe for pemmican made out of
> fruit and honey. Anyone else ever tried this? They also say that suet can be
> substituted for the honey, any thoughts? Can someone explain Pemmican? Not
> the recipe, what is it? Do you just eat it like it is? What's the skinny
> (story) on this stuff? I found a bit of useful info. By doing a web search
> on "Pemmican", not exactly what I was looking for though.

Pemmican is dried lean meat mixed with fat and possibly a small quantity
of dried berries or fruit.  Fruit and honey is not pemmican.  Ground up
oats and honey and peanuts is not pemmican (though there is a food bar
commercially available that calls itself pemmican).  The paleo diet page
http://www.paleodiet.com has good pemmican links.

> 5.      Chinese food - I eat lots of Chinese foods, no rice, mostly just the
> seafood, chicken, beef, and vegetable dishes. No heavy sauces, or else I
> tend to rinse them off before I eat the meal.

The problem with some Chinese food as far as Paleo goes is that much
of the meat is breaded (usually cornstarch, but sometimes wheat).  And
most of the sauces are thickened either with cornstarch or flour.  Soy sauce,
for the purists, is not only made of soy but is fermented.  However, it is
perfectly possibly to make great paleo chinese food, by avoiding the above
pitfalls.

Lynnet