BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Callan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 10:06:29 -0600
I had the opportunity to tour these caverns a few years back.  The Park Service
was running some interesting environmental monitoring programs on both Lincolnd
and Jefferson.  I was running one on a very tiny building in Western Pennsylvania
with similar issues if not on the same scale...in fact if there is such a scale,
this is the opposite end.  Anyway, I'm sure the guys in the funny hats would be
able to give you much more uptodate information on the cause and character of
these caves than 1968.

Wow!  Thank you Tom Potter!  (He told me that my roll o dex was the most
important thing to take from one position from the next and now it pays off!)
Our tour guide was Audrey T. Tepper, Historic Preservation Architect, NPS.  She
was about to take a leave, but she was running the project and certainly knew
those "caverns" well enough to write an update to your 1968 article!

It was very cool.  But long after I've forgotton the caverns I will look at my
right hand and remembering it being close enough to touch the inside top of the
dome at Jeffeson.  Is this a cool profession/obsession or what?

-jc