From:
Michael Wosnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 21:13:59 -0500
Hello all,

I have a cable modem and am contemplating adding a TV tuner card to my
computer system. The most straightforward source of TV input (cable) is
of course sitting right beside my computer in my cable modem. I am
therefore contemplating putting a splitter on my cable going into the
modem and splitting the signal: one half of the split cable to the
modem, the other to my TV tuner card.

The question is whether or not this is advisable. My cable company has
said not to do it, and that I risk weakening the cable modem signal so
it may not be able to lock on properly. On the other hand, I have other
friends (different cable providers, though) who have done this without
apparent harm.

Does anyone have any bad experiences doing this. If I don't split the
cable going into the modem, this will force me to spilt a cable going to
a real TV in another room and necessitate a much larger cabling job, so
I would like to avoid this if I can. Of course, I do not want to
decrease the functionality of my cable modem.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael

Michael A. Wosnick,