From:
"Steven J. Wolfe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 00:11:00 -0700
Ronald G Jobe wrote:

> I just had a friend show me a problem I've been working to solve too.
> Sporadically,
> we will each get a message that the master boot record has been changed.
> When
> that happens, the CD-ROM drive is no longer available.  A temporary work
> around
> has been to FDISK /MBR, but I'd like to fix the problem for good.  This
> is seen on 2
> different systems.  Please don't suggest it might be a virus.  I've had
> this happen
> right after formatting the drive, while I was reloading all the
> peripheral drivers.
> The first is a home-built system with a Microstar motherboard, PII-266,
> 96 meg
> RAM, 2 gig HD, WIN 95B, bus master drivers loaded.  The second is an Acer
> P5-75,
> 8 meg RAM, 1 gig HD, WIN95A, bus mastering is not supported.
>
> Any help would be gratefully appreciated!
> Ron

If you do not want to see this message again, turn off the virus detection
in the BIO setup. It may not be a virus, but when this feature is enabled
you will recieve the message when the MBR is changed or altered!! As for
losing your CD Rom's, I am not sure if this will help your problem, or not.

And since you do not want to hear about Viruses, .....................

Good Luck    Steve Wolfe

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org