From:
Paul Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 18:40:38 -0500
Hello all,

The particulars of my system:

AMD K6-2/350
FIC 503+
ISA PnP Turtle Beach TBS-2000 sound card
ISA PnP Zoom 2919 hardware modem, jumpered for non-PNP, COM 2, IRQ 3

I have an intermittent problem with my sound card.  A few months ago, I
turned my computer on and had no sound.  Checked Device manager, and sure
enough, no sound.  No midi, no joystick, no sound except for "Wave device
for voice modem".  I tried everything I could think of for a few hours:
Remove all sound devices, get updated drivers, check BIOS settings for PNP,
manually install, automatically find hardware, etc.

Then a couple of days later, Sound magically reappears.  Next day, no
sound.  After a few days of scratching my head, and looking for a new sound
card, I notice an IRQ conflict between the modem and midi.  The modem was
using IRQ 3 but the I/O address was for COM 3 (don't remember the number).
I pulled the modem and corrected my error (why did it work for 3-5 months?)

Voila! With the Modem set for COM 2 Sound card is found, drivers installed
automatically, everything works!

Now, the problem returns.  If I remove the modem (physically), reboot,
allow sound drivers to install, reinstall modem, reboot, all is fine until
the "next time" whenever that is.

I have just installed DirectX 7 drivers and a game demo recently.

Any clues?

TIA
J. Paul Jones
http://www.mindspring.com/~jpjcet/