From:
"Walter R. Worth" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 09:58:05 -0800
On Monday, March 06, 2000 6:13 AM, "Doug Simmons" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Has anyone used one of these type programs on a laptop where sometimes a
> LAN connection is used and other times a dial up connection is used?
>
> I tried one on my IBM ThinkPad and it totally screwed up my LAN
> connection.  I ran it while in the dialup mode, but when I tried to use my
> Ethernet connection, a typically 5 second download from our server took
> over a minute, consistently.  I finally found a program that would let me
> reset the TCPIP settings back to windows default and my LAN connection
> speed rose *dramatically* (back to 5 second downloads).  I would like to
> "tweak" my Dialup connection speed but don't want to screw up my LAN
> settings either.
>
> By the way, does anyone know of a Win 95 program that displays (possibly
in
> systray) LAN activity?  I could use either the "flashing" send and receive
> display as is displayed by the dialup connection, or a numerical bytes
> sent/received as is displayed with the connection "Status" window.  On a
> LAN I like to know if I am actually sending or receiving data.

Hi Doug -- Aside from the bad experience that you have had with such
utilities, I have tried several of them just because others had mentioned
them in post out of curiosity.  For the most part, there may or may not be
much gained from using such a program IMVHO because a lot of other factors
affect connection speed. You may want to check http://www.shareware.com  or
http://winfiles.com  web sites and look under the "Utilities|Internet" menu
because they have plenty of these programs that may do as you are
requesting. Since you have mentioned that these programs can and sometime do
have adverse effects, I will not mention or recommend any specific ones.
HTH. :-)

Walter R. Worth

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html