From:
Alan Eugene Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 21:50:00 +1000
I connected a Microtek X6EL to the SCSI2 channel of an Adaptec
2940U2W.  The scanner is currently the only device on that card, and
is connected through the DB25 to DB25 cable supplied with the
scanner, through a converter/bracket from a 50pin internal cable.

I installed this scanner before I saw the terminator in the box,
without the terminator.  After recompiling the kernel to recognize
SCSI generic devices, I installed relevant packages on my Debian
GNU/Linux system, the SANE-related packages.

After running

      $ scanimage --list-devices

the scanner was identified, and, ever since, there has never been a
need to fiddle---whenever I start the software, either through The
GIMP or via xscanimage itself, the scanner works flawlessly.

After I discovered the DB25 SCSI terminator in the packing, I
installed it.  Not only will the scanner not work correctly with it
installed; but the terminator is  quite warm to the touch.  Since I
removed the terminator, the scanner has been performing flawlessly.

Can someone explain the seeming anomalous behavior regarding  the
terminator?  I can only  think  that the Adaptek 2940U2W doesn't need
a terminator, while perhaps the Adaptec 2902E/I does need it.

What gives?

Alan Davis

--

"An inviscid theory of flow renders the screw useless, but the need
for one non-existent."    ---Lord Raleigh (John William Strutt),

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html