From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 11:44:14 -0500
> At 08:59 AM 2/21/00 -0500, you wrote:
> >Until now I always asked for blank CDs and then I used them for audio or
> >data, with no worry. However Someone sent me some TDK CD-r with a label
"for
> >audio", and made a comment on this kind of media not beeing usable for
> >computer data. What is that of Cd- media usable only for audio?
> >Roberto Safora
>
> I think the color (wavelength) of the laser in audio CD players is
> different than that in CD-ROM drives.  That is the only thing I can think
> of that would make a difference.

     I don't believe so, all CD technologies use the same wavelength of
light (DVD uses a different wavelength, somewhere in the red region). The
difference is in the CD itself. The RIAA and other institutions are
terrified of people making digital copies of CDs, they couldn't stop
computer CDR drives in time, but they did get a hold on CDR component decks.
They mandated that all CDR component decks should only work with CDR media
specifically labeled as "CDR audio", those disks being 2 to 3 times the cost
of a normal CDR. The extra cost is "compensation" to the industry (like one
cent actually goes to the artists...). Anyways, component decks with the
CDRaudio only label will not record to normal CDR disks. AFAIK CDRAudio
disks will work on normal CDR drives but I could be wrong there. Only way to
really know if that particular disk will work or not is to try. Hope this
helped, TTYL

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html